Strawberry, CA 94941, a community of over 5,000 residents, has been volunteered against its wishes for aggressive high-density residential development as a "Priority Development Area" by its own elected representative, Marin District 3 Supervisor Kate Sears.
PDA designation for Strawberry must be stopped. Sign the petition and say NO PDA for Strawberry!
If you don't help us stop the PDA, it could:
* reduce community controls over aggressive real estate development
* threaten the environment by reducing the power of proven environmental laws and requirements and encouraging development of high density housing near sensitive wildlife habitat & endangered species
* jeopardize public health, safety & welfare by exacerbating high traffic congestion and increased air and noise pollution
* increase overcrowding of local, public schools where local children today cannot even attend schools in their neighborhood
* reduce local tax revenue and provide unfair subsidies to developers, all at the expense of the local community and county residents
As part of unincorporated Marin County, high density developments in the area may receive faster approval than in a city. Under the PDA, development would be subject to streamlining at a state level, exempting it from safeguards like full environmental review, minimum parking requirements, and height restrictions.
Our community is already more diverse and balanced in housing and population demographics than the average Marin community through successful implementation of its own Strawberry Community Plan.
Strawberry residents have rejected the Supervisor's voluntary designation and want it removed.
It is 100% in Supervisor Sears' hands to respect the wishes of her constituents and remove this designation.
Other Marin Supervisors have said publicly and privately that they will support any community who wants to be withdrawn from this status, or that they will take their cue from Supervisor Sears regarding her District. Area of Bay Area Governments Executive Director Ezra Rapport says ABAG is happy to accommodate local decision makers in adding, changing or removing PDAs.
The residents of Strawberry ARE the 'local decision-makers,' and Strawberry does NOT want PDA designation.
Please sign the petition and ask your friends to sign, too! For more information, visit www.strawberry94941.org.
NO PDA for Strawberry!
Supervisor District 3, Marin County Board of Supervisors Kate Sears
Please respect the wishes of your constituents and remove Strawberry from the Plan Bay Area voluntary "Priority Development Area" designation.