NEW LAWS NEEDED IN TEXAS
This petition had 1,641 supporters
We ask our elected Texas officials to take action to humanely handle the animal overpopulation. Strays and dumped animals are abundant. Shelters and rescues are overflowing, underfunded, and overwhelmed. Resources are lacking. Animals are suffering. Many dogs are on chains left to the elements, no enforcement of current laws to protect them.
Animal control often not taking cases of abuse and neglect seriously, and leaving animals to stay in these conditions. Even when rescue offers to take in the pet.
BANNING PUPPY MILLS would save TAXPAYERS THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS A YEAR AND PROVIDES HOMES TO THOUSANDS OF ADOPTABLE PETS FROM KILL SHELTERS. If less pets are being produced, there would be less pets ending up in shelters, and less pets Euthanized. Stopping pets from being sold for profit will take the demand away.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals estimates there are about 10,000 puppy mills in the entire United States, which produce what's thought to be around 2 million puppies each year. Homeless animals outnumber homeless people 5 to 1. Every year, approximately 2.7 million adoptable dogs and cats are euthanized only because shelters are too full (and have limited resources) and there aren't enough adoptive homes.
Putting this law in place would help give a chance for the thousands of shelter and rescue pets already waiting for homes. This will give a better chance for many shelters to become "no-kill" if they wish to work towards that. "No-kill" policy has actually proved to be beneficial to the economy of the community, according to a study regarding Austin's "no-kill" policies.
a major problem is the laws are not enforced regularly (such as tying up your dog) and there isn't enough animal control enforcement. Especially in rural areas that are spread out and without the funding.
As elected officials of Texas, there is a lot you can do to change the situation in Texas for the better.
Many areas of Texas don't have anyone to report violations to or these reports are often ignored. This is an issue that needs to be resolved. Ensure that all areas in Texas have an animal control authority, that will humanely handle animal abuse, neglect, violations, etc.
WHAT WE ASK FOR:
1. TEXAS ELECTED OFFICIALS to ban pet stores, flea markets and auctions from selling pets and to only allow rescue or shelter pets. Allow a grace period for pets currently in Pet Stores, to avoid being dumped or inhumanely disposed of.
2. MAKE IT ILLEGAL TO DUMP PETS, WITH STRONG PENALTIES FOR DUMPING or Injuring/killing ANIMALS. WHEN PUPPY MILL DOGS ARE UNABLE TO PRODUCE LITTERS ANYMORE, MANY BREEDERS DUMP or KILL/DISPOSE THESE DOGS TO QUICKLY GET RID OF THEM.
3. Ban the sale of pets less than 8 weeks old.
4. Work with rescue(s) to find ways to stop cruel puppy mills and humanely handle the animal overpopulation issues in Texas.
5. More funding and resources provided to animal control services and animal shelters.
5. Ensure every county has animal control authority and all animal control facilities are adequately funded. Many shelters lack in funding and resources. A lot of areas in Texas have no animal control authority to help them, these animals are often dumped and there is nowhere for them to go so they become strays or die.
6. Stop putting resources into killing pets in shelters. Only allow medically necessary euthanasia. Put these resources into providing low cost or free spay/neuter and to help these pets find homes. Set goal for Texas to be no kill by 2022. With these laws and changes in place, Texas can and should accomplish no kill status.
7. Ensure these laws and all animal related laws are enforced. Please set up an easy way to report violations, and for it to be properly investigated and enforced. These laws mean nothing without enforcement. Require authorities to enforce these laws and provide a way to report those who do not enforce these animal related laws or who ignore violations.
8. Put in place a statewide TNR and SPAY/NEUTER effort.
Stopping pet stores from selling pets is a necessary step towards "no kill policy" .
We hope and pray, for the sake of the ANIMALS in the great state of TEXAS, that our leaders will show action on this subject IMMEDIATELY- as SO MANY are waiting for HELP and SUFFERING right now.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
TELL GOVERNOR GREG ABBOTT HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT PET STORES AND PUPPY MILLS: https://gov.texas.gov/apps/contact/opinion.aspx
EMAIL GOVERNOR GREG ABBOTT: Info@GregAbbott.com
CALL GOVERNOR GREG ABBOTT: (512) 463-2000
The Texas Lieutenant Governor Comment Line: (512) 463-5342
Today: A. L. is counting on you
A. L. M. needs your help with “Texas Governor: NEW LAWS NEEDED IN TEXAS”. Join A. L. and 1,640 supporters today.