New York's public water system is spreading waterborne pathogens such as Legionella bacteria (the bacteria that causes Legionnaires' disease) to homes, businesses, hospitals and more. As a result, New Yorkers are becoming sick—and even dying—from their drinking water. Current Health Department regulations put in place to protect us from Legionella are woefully inadequate. This is unacceptable, and state and city elected officials must be held accountable.
The Legionnaires' disease outbreak of 2015 in the South Bronx, which infected 133 people and left 16 dead, caused New York City and State to enact a set of misguided regulations that had the intent of preventing future cases of Legionnaires' disease. These regulations have not worked, and they have failed to target the source of this bacteria—the public water supply and distribution system. The public is left in great risk.
Here are the facts:
- New York State is currently leading the nation in the amount of reported cases of Legionnaires' disease.
- New York State currently makes up 14 percent of the total cases of Legionnaires' disease reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- New Yorkers are more than twice as likely to contract Legionnaires’ disease when compared to the rest of the United States population.
- Since the regulations took effect in August 2015, more than 1,000 New Yorkers have become ill with Legionnaires’ disease. Many have died.
- There have been outbreaks throughout the state since the regulations were enacted.
Focus on water quality: The root problem is Legionella and other waterborne pathogens in our drinking water. By signing this petition you are sending a clear message to our elected officials: We will not let our fellow New Yorkers become sick or die from a bacteria that lives in their public water source. Not when solutions readily exist. GIVE US CLEAN WATER!
Sign this petition if you agree: Our elected and health officials must take immediate action and do more to protect public health from waterborne contaminants including bacteria such as Legionella.
For more information about the Alliance to Prevent Legionnaires' Disease, please visit our website at www.preventlegionnaires.org or follow us at @preventld.
- New York State Senate
- New York State Assembly
Tell New York Officials: Give Us Clean Water
Alliance to Prevent Legionnaires' Disease started this petition with a single signature, and now has 249 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.