Celebrating one year of formation of Women's Commission!
Dec 29, 2021 —
Hey friend! I hope you are taking a moment today to pat your back for endorsing WomComMatters. Guess what! Telangana Women’s Commission completes one year to its announcement already!
It still feels like just yesterday where i am convincing people to sign my petition, asking them to continue believing in the system, the importance of the Women's Commission Act, etc. And, to realize that it has already been one year is amazing!
So, I called the State Women’s Commission to get updates and a glimpse of their work over the past year. What you are going to read are official updates from the Commission themselves.
- Setting up of a fully-functional office with adequate seating space, waiting room, legal cell, meeting rooms, etc.
- Active social media accounts on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to reach out to the needy and also to create awareness / to disseminate information on various acts, activities related to women etc.
- New logo launched
- Fully-functional online website with updates
- Received 466 cases, out of which 255 are already disposed off
- Suo moto cognizance of 7 cases that made headlines
- 15 cases forwarded to NRI cell tackling domestic violence outside India
- High level meetings with DGP, Commissioner of Police, Special Secy. WCD, etc. to put women’s rights on the agenda always
- District wise meetings with various stakeholders especially reviewing workplace harassment and domestic violence
- Organized webinars to raise awareness on POSH, domestic violence, etc.
- Special webinars and review meetings on implementation of POSH with all district stakeholders
- Interaction with transgender community to discuss their issues and support livelihoods
- Regular meetings within the Commission
- Regular visits and inspections to hospitals, Bharosa centres, organizations running helplines, mahila shakti kendras, one stop centres, working womens hostels, etc.
- Organised Poshan Panchayat as part of 2021, at Narsapur, Medak District. Different awareness activities carried out through nutrition food stalls, etc.
- Communication material being released on different topics.
Support during CoVid-19 second wave
- Coordinated with NCW on helpline exclusively to assist pregnant women and worked towards mitigating the impact of outbreak on expected mothers
- A dedicated group of 4 people worked together to manage different requests forwarded by the NCW, including arranging oxygen cylinders, hospital beds, plasma, blood, platelets and delivering medicines to the patients
- Received appreciation from NCW for the efforts towards helping Covid positive pregnant women
My team from #WomComMatters have already made couple of visits to the Commission and have always received welcoming responses.
Well, there is still a long way to go to achieve gender equality, but ensuring civic engagement to hold Govts accountable is the way forward for us all. And, we should be glad and proud to be doing just that!
Thank you for believing. Thank you for being part of the change.
Keep fighting for people power!
Politicians and rich CEOs shouldn't make all the decisions. Today we ask you to help keep Change.org free and independent. Our job as a public benefit company is to help petitions like this one fight back and get heard. If everyone who saw this chipped in monthly we'd secure Change.org's future today. Help us hold the powerful to account. Can you spare a minute to become a member today?I'll power Change with $5 monthly