Support the Oxfordshire Declaration
This petition had 365 supporters
In early October, I organised a Summit for Oxfordshire to bring together scientists, academics, business people, trade unionists and politicians in the county to discuss the impact of the Brexit vote, and how we can work together to respond to the many challenges that leaving the EU will bring. The Summit agreed on a Declaration to indicate our support for Oxfordshire's European science links and scientists.
Oxfordshire Science Declaration
We, the undersigned, affirm our commitment to keeping Oxfordshire open to science and scientists, and to maintaining Oxfordshire’s place as a leading high-tech cluster, with a broad and growing diversity of established and emerging STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) industry sectors.
We pledge to work towards:
* Protecting the rights of all those scientists and researchers living and working in Oxfordshire from different cultures, and combating discrimination in all forms.
* Encouraging the openness of knowledge across borders through continuing international co-operation
* Promoting awareness of the positive impact of science and research on the local and national economy as a key element of the UK’s future industrial policy
* Continuing European- supported experiments and agencies in Oxfordshire, and encouraging them to remain in our county
* Maintaining the current level of funding for science, research and development in Oxfordshire by ensuring current funding for Oxfordshire projects provided by the EU is maintained; protecting research funding from currency fluctuations that have occurred since the referendum and ensuring that European colleagues are aware of the role of Oxfordshire-based scientists and facilities in promoting excellent research.
* Recognising the recent actual and suggested improvements to Oxfordshire’s transport infrastructure, including the improvements to the strategic road network linking the A34 junctions to STEM areas, and to work with the Oxfordshire Growth Board to ensure that further transport links will allow greater accessibility to Oxfordshire’s STEM businesses, industries, and research centres.
Please sign the Declaration to show your support.
Today: Anneliese is counting on you
Anneliese Dodds MEP needs your help with “Support the Oxfordshire Declaration”. Join Anneliese and 364 supporters today.