- Texas House of Representatives
Support the Texas Wine Industry
When shopping for wine in the store or selecting from a wine list at a restaurant you are faced with many options. Most of those options accurately represent where they are grown such as California, Oregon, France, Spain, Italy, etc.
Did you know that Texas law only requires 75% of a wine be made from fruit grown in Texas? If not, you aren’t alone. That means wines representing themselves as a product of Texas agriculture may not be 100% grown in this state. This not only deceives us consumers but also undermines the integrity of the Texas ag industry.
- "If Texas wants to be taken seriously as a wine region, it needs to realize that in wine truth is paramount. To obfuscate or deceive is to disrespect not only the people who drink the wine, but also the people who make it, and the land that produces it. To muddle people’s understanding of a wine’s provenance is to willfully deceive and risks engendering cynicism about Texas wine..." - Jordan Mackay, James Beard award-winning author
Good news! HB 1514 "Truth in Labeling Act" was introduced to the Texas House of Representatives. If passed, with your support:
- Texas farmers are assured their crops are the cornerstone of a “Texas” wine distinction
- Consumers can trust that Texas on a label means 100% Texas grown grapes, cultivated in Texas soil
- Texas wineries can gain international recognition as an authentic wine producing state and can effectively compete in a global wine market
We must recognize Texas grape growers' potential to establish an agricultural commodity as the industry grows, and we must raise our voices now demanding truth for Texas wine consumers.
Support Texas wine growers, and support HB 1514!
Your signature is appreciated, but the fight is not done – contact your representative’s Austin office now!
** Note **
HB 1514 does NOT change any Texas wine business' right to make wine using the varietals they choose sourced from any state or country.
Winery business models need not change – wineries may always make adjustments in years where supply is limited with full disclosure of their source for fruit.
This labeling disclosure simply helps consumers to make an informed decision on the true origins of the grapes used to make wine. It also ensures Texas grape farmers receive a distinction they deserve.
- Texas House of Representatives
Support Texas Vineyards, support BH 1514 "Truth in Labeling Act"
If passed, with your support:
1. Texas farmers are assured their crops are the cornerstone of a “Texas” wine distinction
2. Consumers can trust that Texas on a label means 100% Texas grown grapes, cultivated in Texas soil
3. Texas wineries can gain international recognition as an authentic wine producing state and can effectively compete in a global wine market
Support the integrity of the Texas wine industry and support HB 1514.
Real Texas Wine started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,738 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Real Texas Wine is counting on you
Real Texas Wine needs your help with “Support Texas Wine Industry - Pass HB 1514 "Truth in Labeling Act"”. Join Real Texas Wine and 1,737 supporters today.