Support Arts Council funding for Screenwriters and bring quality work to the screen!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
We at Fund Screenwriting Canada are encouraging the Arts Councils to consider funding screenwriters the same way they fund playwrights.
The Arts Councils already have a template to support the writer through their development process. We are asking the Media Departments at the Arts Councils in Canada to take screenwriting as seriously as they do the literary and playwriting process and consider shaping a grant to support screenwriters.
- Not all screenwriters are directors; not all directors are screenwriters, and as a result, screenwriting artists often slip through the cracks when Media Arts funding is set up only for directors and their selected teams.
- While there are funds elsewhere for producers and directors, an emerging screenwriter or one who has a unique, non-commercial story has less access to producers and directors who can pay them for developing their script.
- Under the current system, small, independent directors working with micro-budgets are forced to make difficult choices that can sacrifice the quality of the film in order to pay the writer. This isn’t a choice that theatre artists are forced to make.
- Literary funding does not consider screenwriting part of their mandate.
- High-quality content is in demand, in order for a screenplay to be successful they must tell a unique, poignant and personal story. This doesn't just happen on a first draft with production around the corner. Art doesn't just happen. Writers need time and support.
If we want to see a robust Canadian film industry founded on quality film art, it all starts with the script, and we need to invest in our screenwriters so that they can develop and practice their craft.
Our first step is to deliver these signatures of support to the Ontario Arts Council who recently received $50 Million dollars in support from the Provincial government.
Show your support for Screenwriters and Screenwriting and sign!
Today: Fund Screenwriting is counting on you
Fund Screenwriting Canada needs your help with “Support Arts Council funding for Screenwriters and bring quality work to the screen!”. Join Fund Screenwriting and 862 supporters today.