Support an Advanced Degree Clinical Doctorate for Genetic Counseling
This petition had 184 supporters
We, the undersigned, would like to publicly acknowledge our personal support of, and interest in, an Advanced Degree Clinical Doctorate in Genetic Counseling. We are in favor of an Advanced Degree CD because:
1. We believe that this will allow counselors in academia more opportunities with regard to faculty appointments.
2. We believe that this will allow all counselors more opportunities with regard to grant writing.
3. We believe that this will allow all counselors more opportunities to serve as the PI of IRB-approved clinical research studies.
4. We believe that this will allow more opportunities for genetic counselors who ultimately choose to work in industry, including working as a medical science liaison. Many companies will not consider genetic counselors for these positions due to their current degree status.
5. We believe that this will allow all counselors a ladder for advancement that is sorely lacking in our profession.
6. Based on data published regarding adding an advanced degree track for other professions, we believe that the clinical doctorate will help attract a more diverse population of students to the genetic counseling field.
7. We believe that this will allow all counselors an opportunity to have a deeper level of training on some important topics such as feedback and supervision, teaching and learning styles, the business of genetics, and current technologies.
We understand that the Taskforce has decided not to vote on the advanced degree Clinical Doctorate, however, we respectfully request that if the Taskforce feels that they have enough information to make a statement that there is no professional objection to an Advanced Degree CD this may be helpful for the training programs that are trying to develop one.
Finally, we request that any committees tasked with consideration of the Advanced Degree Clinical Doctorate be selected so that strong opinions are balanced. It is our feeling that this should be a combined committee including members of NSGC, ABGC, ACGC, AGCPD, CAGC and members-at-large.
Today: Heather is counting on you
Heather Hampel needs your help with “Support an Advanced Degree Clinical Doctorate for Genetic Counseling”. Join Heather and 183 supporters today.