- firstname.lastname@example.orgDirector of Structure of our City and Environmental Services
Stop York Council from Bulldozing through Holgate Community Garden and Play Park
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500.
Holgate Community Garden and Play Park is a green haven for inner city dwellers in York, which is soon to be demolished to make way for a road to service a new development in York Central. This is despite the fact that there are several alternative options to build a road nearby that would not destroy green space, nor impact negatively on existing residents. Bulldozing through this site will destroy what is for many local residents their only garden; a central point for exercising, gardening and socialising. Residents in this part of Holgate have tiny yards that are not suitable for exercising children or pets. The garden and basketball court are therefore well loved and actively used on a daily basis by families, dog walkers and gardening enthusiasts.
Due to lack of council funding, the area was until 2011 quite neglected with unused flower beds, graffiti-covered walls and regular rubbish deposits. The creation of Holgate Community Garden by Julie Fern galvanised the local community into action to transform this space into a beautiful, tranquil site filled with flowers, vegetables and well cared for play equipment. The local residents have generously invested large sums of their own money in this project and carried out the work as a collective team. The result has been a transformation. It is now a beautiful place that residents are proud of and use daily with great enthusiasm.
The road would negatively impact the area by:
- Removing a space to exercise and play.
- Destroying the opportunity for children to learn gardening skills and eat produce that they have grown themselves.
- Causing safety concerns for children living near a busy road.
- Destroying a range of ancient trees.
- Destroying a habitat for bats and local wildlife.
- Increasing noise, light and air pollution to intolerable and unsafe levels for the residents of Cleveland Street, Upper St Paul’s Terrace and Wilton Rise.
- Destroying a space where friendships are formed and flourish through regular gardening days, barbecues, picnics and craft events.
To bulldoze through Holgate Community Garden and Play Park would be to bulldoze through the social cohesion and healthy living that the residents have fought hard to foster in this area. Please sign this petition to show your support and save our garden!
- Director of Structure of our City and Environmental Services
Save Holgate Community Garden and Play Park from being Destroyed by a New Road
Claire McMahon-Harvey started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,242 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Claire is counting on you
Claire McMahon-Harvey needs your help with “Stop York Council from Bulldozing through Holgate Community Garden and Play Park”. Join Claire and 1,241 supporters today.