Stop Verizon from installing 12 cell towers 600 feet from Alki Elementary school
This petition had 154 supporters
Stop Verizon from installing 12 cell tower antennas 600 feet from an elementary school.
Verizon is attempting to install 12 cell towers on top of an apartment building (6023 Stevens Street) directly across from the Log House Museum only 600 feet from Alki elementary school and Alki Beach Park. Seattle DPD just announced their decision on 3/23/15 to grant Verizon a special privilege to exceed the 3 story limit on buildings in Alki and add twelve 8 foot cell tower antennas on top of an apartment building. Concerned residents of Alki have filed a legal appeal with our own money to try to to stop these Cell tower antennas from being installed. Our appeal hearing is on May 19th and July 22nd. Please support us by signing this petition
* BAD FOR KIDS : Children’s skulls are thinner than adults and more susceptible to RF radiation. Some U.S. Cities are trying to ban cell towers within 1500 feet of schools. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has also urged the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to reconsider its radiation standards.
* BAD FOR ADULTS : Cell towers can cause health problems including headaches, sleep problems and cancer. Pets are also affected.
Health affects of cell phone towers
* PROPERTY VALUES WILL FALL : Home values will fall ! Historically house values fall 10-20% when a cell tower is installed.
The World Health Organization has labeled Cell Tower Radiation a Class B2 Carcinogen – the same classification given to pesticide DDT, lead, gasoline engine exhaust, burning coal , dry cleaning chemicals and Jet Fuel.
* SCIENTIFIC STUDIES SHOW LINK BETWEEN LIVING NEAR A CELL TOWER OR ANTENNA, AND CANCER.
Numerous scientific studies now show links between living near a cell tower and cancer. We already know enough to act protectively and proactively. Caring for our children, for our pets, and for ourselves - is common sense.
· These Scientific Studies are among others that have concluded that cancer rates are at least 3 times higher in people who live within 1/4 mile of a cell antenna for more than 5 years.
· 1. The Influence of Being Physically Near to a Cell Phone Transmission Mast on the Incidence of Cancer cancer rate 3 xs higher after 5-10 years living within ¼ mile (1312 feet) of a cell antenna. (2004: http://www.emf-health.com/PDFreports/Germanreport_celltower.pdf)
· 2. Increased Incidence of Cancer Near a Cell-Phone Transmitter Station cancer rate 4 xs higher after 3-7 years (2004: http://www.emf-health.com/PDFreports/Israelstudy_celltower.pdf).
· 3. Environmental Epidemiological Study of Cancer Incidence in the Municipalities of Hausmannstätten & Vasoldsberg (Austria) cancer rate higher within 1/8 of a mile (660 feet) from cell antenna after 5 years (2008: http://www.emf-health.com/PDFreports/Austrianstudy.pdf).
* CELL COMPANIES SHOULD HAVE TO ABIDE BY ALL EXISTING CITY BUILDING CODES
The 12 new proposed cell towers require waiving a city of Seattle building code for height restriction.
Plans for the 12 new cell towers indicate that they may potentially break several city of Seattle building codes.
* ELECTROMAGNETIC RADIATION LEVELS EMITTED BY CELL ANTENNAS IS RISING WITH HIGHER SPEED DATA NEEDS, AND CUMULATIVE EFFECT OF EXISTING TOWERS IN ALKI NEIGHBORHOOD PLUS THESE NEW PROPOSED ANTENNAS MAY POTENTIALLY EXCEED FEDERAL LIMITS.
The cumulative radiation from The 12 new proposed cell antennas may potentially be in violation of federal limits, as they will triple the number of antennas emitting radiation near Alki Beach and Alki Elementary.
Today: eric is counting on you
eric siko needs your help with “Stop Verizon from installing 12 cell towers 600 feet from an elementary school”. Join eric and 153 supporters today.