Stop the extreme Bodu Bala Sena and other groups who ignite the religious hatred, mob attacks, enmity and violent oppressions against Muslims and other minorities in Sri Lanka
This petition had 17,675 supporters
This petition aims to gather voices against the extreme group of Buddhist Monks called Bodu Bala Sena (BBS) of Sri Lanka.
The General Secretary of BBS, Ven.Galagodaaththe Gnanasara Thero, along with other members constantly violate the religious rights of minorities by instigating hatred and violent activities.
We appeal to all human rights activists, organisations and individuals to demand immediate action on this hatred propaganda.
Since the end of the civil war in May 2009 in Sri Lanka, BBS and their Buddhist chauvinist monks have turned their attention to religious minorities of Sri Lanka. Provoking and perpetrating physical harm against Muslims Civilians, Mosques, Historic Graveyards, Christian churches, and Hindu temples.
Yet the Sri Lankan authorities remain silence even-though the state has got a new government.
More than 350 listed incidents of violence have taken place in the last few years, including 4 deaths and serious injuries to Sri Lankan Muslims and their religious practices. This takes place under the mask of a disgraceful 'Buddhist-Cleansing of Sri Lanka’ - propagated by the BBS.
The security forces and the authorities are remain silent which encourage Bodu Bala Sena indirectly to appear in media to promote their hate speech without any hesitation of the Law and Order. Despite religious, ethnic, and racial diverse, the majority are opposed to this violent attack and propaganda against the Muslim community and others.
This attack is an attack on democratic rights in general.
Hatred, violence and Verbal Abuses of any kind targeting any groups of people must be opposed in democratic state.
We demand that:
1. Physical and Verbal Abuses and Attacks of any kind on the Muslim community must be stopped immediately.
2. We defend the right and support the democratic defensing bodies in building of multi-ethnic environment against the mob attacks provoked and perpetrated by the BBS. We also need defense against state repression, especially in the areas where Muslim communities live.
3. The right of an individual to practice any religion or none must be respected in practice with protection for minority rights in the country.
4. Independent justice investigation to be formed actively via Sri Lankan Parliament to bring the terrorists before the Law.
5. Hate campaigners and Mobs involved in Aluthgama attacks including Galagodaaththe Gnanasara Thero must be arrested under Prevention of Terrorism Act and to be brought before the Justice.
06. We urge the International Community and Rights defenders to intervene into the issue to pressurise to protect the innocent victims of Hatred.
07. We request the Sri Lankan Government to introduce a new law which will criminalise the instigation and promotion of hatred in any form to protect the Ethinic and Religious harmony of the country at its high level, which also will prevent all the communities from hatred of any kind.
Today: Say No to Hatred is counting on you
Say No to Hatred needs your help with “Stop the extreme Bodu Bala Sena”. Join Say No to Hatred and 17,674 supporters today.