Help ban son of Syrian Al-Assad's financier from competing in London2012 Olympics - Sign & Share!
"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle." - Pierre de Coubertin
The Olympic Games is the international symbol of a coming together of athletes worldwide, under the credo of participation - regardless of gender, race or beliefs.
"Participation" in Syria is not synonymous with these Olympic Values, nor even basic Human Rights.
Bashar Al-Assad's regime continues to meet the struggle of ordinary citizens to live a dignified life with state-sponsored extra-judicial detention, torture and slaughter of men, women and children. After 16 months of protests, the United Nations has estimated that over 13 000 people have been killed, including hundreds of children.
Ahmad Hamsho, 18-year-old nephew of Maher al-Assad, brother of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, has been selected to participate in the London Olympics as an equestrian show-jumper. Ahmad is the son of Muhammad Hamcho, persona non grata in the US and EU as early as May 2011 for having bankrolled Bashar Al Assad regime's ruthless repression of peaceful protestors.
Violation of the Fundamental Principles of Olympism
2. "The goal of Olympism is to place sport at the service of the harmonious development of man, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity."
5. "Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement."
- Ahmad Hamcho's staunch support of his family's brand of repression of basic Human Rights in Syria, based on political opinion, violates 2 of the 6 Fundamental Principles of Olympism.
Concerning the Fédération Equestre Internationale:
The Olympic athelete's aunt, Maher Al Assad's wife, Manal al-Jaadan, is Honorary President of the Syrian Equestrian Federation and it has been reported that funding for the sport may come from Ahmad’s father, Muhammad.
- Due to the close ties between the contestant's family, the funding for the National Federation and the ruling party, interference in the grooming and selection to the Olympic team should be investigated before allowing Ahmad Hamcho to compete.
This is not a core Syria awareness campaign.
It will not stop the death toll from rising, nor heal wounded bodies and souls. But at this point, any pressure on the Assad regime figureheads is essential.
----> For all Syria Bloggers : please check share options at the bottom of left column of this page. Click on the "embed" button to add the petition widget to your blog. If you can't find it here's another link : http://textsnip.com/ceed65 <-----------
ساهم في التوقيعات لمنع أحد أبناء عائلة الأسد من المشاركة في الألعاب الأولومبة في لندن.أحمد حمشو هو ابن محمد حمشو، وضع اسمه على قائمة المحظورين من دخول الإتحاد الأوروبي و الولايات المتحدة بسبب دوره في تمويل جرائم عصابة الإجرام في سوريا.مشاركته في الألعاب الأولومبية سيستخدم كدعاية لكسر طوق العزلة عل نظام الإجرام في دمشق, ساهم بالتوقيع و أنشر الرابط و أدعو غيرك للمساهمة.
- Chairman of the Ethics Commission, International Olympic Committee(Youssoupha NDIAYE)
- Member of the Ethics Commission, International Olympic Committee (Mrs Claudia BOKEL)
- Member of the Ethics Commission, International Olympic Committee (Thomas BUERGENTHAL)
- Member of the Ethics Commission, International Olympic Committee (Guy CANIVET)
- Member of the Ethics Commission, International Olympic Committee (José Luis DICENTA BALLESTER)
- Member of the Ethics Commission, International Olympic Committee(Francisco J. ELIZALDE)
- Member of the Ethics Commission, International Olympic Committee (Sir Craig REEDIE)
- Member of the Ethics Commission, International Olympic Committee (Samuel SCHMID)
- Member of the Ethics Commission, International Olympic Committee (Leo WALLNER)
- Secretary General & CEO, Fédération Equestre Internationale (INGMAR DE VOS)
- Director of FEI Governance and Executive Affairs, Fédération Equestre Internationale(SABRINA ZEENDER)
stephanie LAMY started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,244 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.