Stop Members of Parliament in Kenya from increasing their salary
This petition had 4,690 supporters
- Petition to stop the Newly elected MPs in Kenya effort to block the Salary Commission pay structure that reduced their salaries to Sh621,000 from about Sh710,000.
- Kenya's members of parliament are among the highest paid in the world. As of 2017, the gross salary of an MP in Kenya is Ksh 1.59 million per month. This amount is inclusive of wages, allowances, and other benefits.
- The pay cut does not include a reduction of their allowances or benefits.
- The wage bill has been growing by about 10 per cent every year or by Sh40 billion. This means that salaries consume about half of all revenues collected by Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA), leaving the remaining half to take care of other costs including repayment of debt and development expenditure.
- Kenya's public sector wage bill stands at 50 percent of annual government tax revenue. The International Monetary Fund puts the global benchmark at about 35 percent.
- Average monthly wage in Kenya is KSh 6,498. MPs are paid basic salary of Ksh 620,000
- Nurses are still on strike, people are dying from lack of access to health and we have Cholera in Kenya!
- Sign to Stop MPs from increasing their salaries!
Today: Rachel is counting on you
Rachel Kimani needs your help with “Stop Members of Parliament in Kenya from increasing their salary”. Join Rachel and 4,689 supporters today.