- Stephnie PayneExecutive Director, San Romanoway Revitalization Association
- Kevin GreenChair, Board of Directors, San Romanoway Revitalization Association
As youth of Jane-Finch and participants of Youth ‘N’ Charge (YNC) we demand transparency and accountability from San Romanoway Revitalization Association regarding YNC, and to re-open the PMAA Studio.
A CALL TO ACTION!
by the YOUTH of Youth 'N' Charge
On April 30th 2014 San Romanoway Revitalization Association (SRRA) CLOSED the Youth ‘N’ Charge Studio (aka PMAA studio) at 15 San Romanoway and ENDED ALL PROGRAMMING offered in the space including the Palisades Media Arts Academy (PMAA)
In June 2011 the SRRA was APPROVED for $344,000.00 IN FUNDING TO RUN the PALISADES MEDIA ARTS ACADEMY PROGRAM (PMAA) FOR 3 YEARS. The program did NOT begin until 2012, and ONLY 2 YEARS of ACTUAL PROGRAMMING was DELIVERED before the program was ABRUPTLY SHUT DOWN on APRIL 30, 2014, which is two months short of the three year mark since the funding was APPROVED.
The Youth ‘N’ Charge studio and PMAA Programs mean a lot to us.
And as youth and participants of the program, some us found out the studio was closed only when we arrived for programming, to see a notice on the door stating “PMAA STUDIO CLOSED AS OF APRIL 30, 2014 SRRA”, and workman changing the locks.
This left with us with the feeling of being locked out of our home.
AS YOUTH of Jane-Finch and Participants of the Youth 'N' Charge and Palisades Media Arts Academy program we are asking the San Romanoway Revitalization Association for:
1. Dialogue and clarification as to why a program that the Ontario Trillium Foundation indicates on their website has three years of funding, has been reduced to two and abruptly closed.
2. A Process to ensure that the mandate of Youth ‘N’ Charge is met, which has been defined by the SRRA as being “a youth led, youth-driven initiative”.
3. An effort to bring back the Palisades Media Arts Academy program at Youth ‘N’ Charge
4. A youth representative seat at the Board of Directors of the SRRA
We want a healthy, vibrant community,
and space where we can feel safe to gather and create.
THIS IS AN URGENT CALL TO COMMUNITY!
PLEASE SUPPORT US TO RECLAIM OUR SPACE!
- the YOUTH of Youth 'N' Charge
- Executive Director, San Romanoway Revitalization Association
- Chair, Board of Directors, San Romanoway Revitalization Association
As a member of the community I support the petition by youth of Jane-Finch, participants of Youth ‘N’ Charge (YNC) and Palisades Media Arts Academy (PMAA). We urge you to open up a dialogue with the youth and community about the sudden closure of the youth space at 15 San Romanoway. In solidarity with the youth we demand transparency and accountability from San Romanoway Revitalization Association regarding YNC and the PMAA Program.
The Youth 'N' Charge is an important and motivating space in the community for our youth. And the Palisades Media Arts Academy is an inspiring program that helps to build critical skills in the arts which provides important opportunities for youth to grow, which needs to be fostered and nurtured.
We demand that action be taken to re-open the YNC and bring back the Palisades Media Arts Academy. And at the very least, we request that you provide transparency around the issues at hand and to open up a dialogue with the youth to work towards a re-opening of the studio and a revival of the PMAA Program.
Joel Kamalando started this petition with a single signature, and now has 265 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Joel is counting on you
Joel Kamalando needs your help with “Stephnie Payne: As youth of Jane-Finch and participants of Youth ‘N’ Charge (YNC) we demand transparency and accountability from San Romanoway Revitalization Association regarding YNC, and to re-open the PMAA Studio.”. Join Joel and 264 supporters today.