Tell Trip Advisor to take down their page on Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage
0 have signed. Let’s get to 15,000!
Millions of people who travel rely on sound advise, when visiting places they’ve never been eagerly gathering information from platforms and trusting the source.
I came across many who have visited Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage , who have left perplexed reviews on Trip Advisory on how the elephants are treated and have said that Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage is not a sanctuary.
There were major concerns about the Elephant’s Welfare
· Elephants are often seen in chains
· Elephants are ‘paraded’ for bathing and tourists have witnessed them kept chained in the river
· Too much contact between tourists and elephants
· Elephants will never be released into the wild
· Mahouts and Keepers requesting tips even after you’ve paid an entrance fee
· Elephant riding is permitted
· Elephants are being threatened with ankus by mahouts
· Elephant are stressed their behavioural patterns shaking back and forth repetitive movements
· Encouraging Elephant Breeding
A written report was completed on Pinnawala Orphanage by “ The Born Free Foundation” explaining that a role of a ‘sanctuary’ or ‘orphanage’ conflicts when breeding is encouraged , and that the likelihood is very HIGH for these elephants to be sold or transferred to other captive institutions.
This leads right to this alarming head line which was published last year 2017;
“The Sri Lankan government has decided to overturn its ban on the adoption of baby elephants to overcome difficulties maintaining the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage as well as overcoming the issue of overcrowding”.
Sri Lanka is an incredibly beautiful country, but if they want tourists to share positive reviews “Eco Tourism” is necessary and changes to the way that conservation is practised at Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage.
Which is why, Trip Advisory needs to remove this page and stop promoting it.
There are Hundreds of negative reviews from tourists who’ve taken the time and provided feedback of their shocking experience on their page, the picture used in this petition was one of many upsetting images.
Trip Advisory is making no effort in taking the time to evaluate their site. It’s irresponsible and extremely misleading to those who want to contribute to Elephant Welfare and Eco-Tourism.
Today: Anika is counting on you
Anika Sleem needs your help with “Stephen Kaufer : Tell Trip Advisory to take down their page on Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage”. Join Anika and 10,904 supporters today.