Stand with Cambodian communities vs. Chinese company’s landgrabbing!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
We, the undersigned, demand a stop to the massive landgrabbing and destruction of the lands of peasants and indigenous communities in Preah Vihear, Cambodia by Chinese conglomerate Guangdong Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co., Ltd.
Hengfu’s operations directly impact 25 villages inhabited by more than 200,000 people. It has razed local forests and farmland and caused the loss of livelihood, poisoning of waterways, destruction of ancient cultural sites, and irreparable damage to the Kuy people’s indigenous heritage. The operations have been associated with various repressive schemes aimed at restricting locals’ organized activities and resistance and forcefully displacing them. In some cases, this repression has been carried out directly by Chinese workers.
We call on the Kingdom of Cambodia to revoke the economic land concessions (ELCs) given to Hengfu’s subsidiaries – Heng Nong, Heng Rui, Lan Feng, Heng You, and Rui Feng – that are enabling the conversion of almost 40,000 hectares of land owned and used by local and indigenous communities into large-scale plantations for sugarcane for export. We demand that the Cambodian government, together with the provincial authorities of Preah Vihear, hold Hengfu accountable for its violations of domestic and international environmental and human rights guidelines and standards. They should also uphold and protect the interest of the Kuy people in recognition of their inherent rights as indigenous peoples.
We also urge the Government of the People’s Republic of China to remove Hengfu from Cambodia and remove all such exploitative Chinese corporations from Cambodia and the whole Mekong region. China should comply with its international commitments that will serve to protect the environment and uphold human and indigenous people’s rights.
We stand with the local and indigenous communities who are battling Hengfu and China's landgrabbing, eviction, and destruction of the environment in Cambodia.
STAND WITH THE COMMUNITIES OF CAMBODIA!
STOP HENGFU’S LANDGRABBING AND REPRESSION!
CAMBODIA, JUNK ECONOMIC LAND CONCESSIONS!
CHINA, HANDS OFF COMMUNITY LANDS, CAMBODIA AND MEKONG!
- People’s Coalition on Food Sovereignty (PCFS)
- Asian Peasant Coalition (APC)
- International Indigenous People’s Movement for Self-Determination and Liberation (IPMSDL)
- PAN Asia and the Pacific (PAN AP)
- Centre for Human Rights and Development, Mongolia
- Amihan National Federation of Peasant Women, Philippines
- Aliansi Gerakan Reforma Agraria (AGRA), Indonesia
- Tamil Nadu Womens Forum, India
- Institute for National and Democracy Studies (INDIES), Indonesia
- National Women Farmers & Workers Association, Bangladesh
- National Fisheries Solidarity Movement (NAFSO), Sri Lanka
- Kilusang Magbubukid ng Pilipinas (KMP), Philippines
- Struggle to Economize Future Environment (SEFE), Cameroon
- Labour, Health And Human Rights Development Centre, Lagos, Nigeria
- Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law and Development
Today: PCFS is counting on you
PCFS Global needs your help with “Stand with Cambodian communities vs. Chinese company’s landgrabbing!”. Join PCFS and 1,134 supporters today.