Stand against housing chaos - no local plan without local people
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
While recognising the national housing crisis, we believe the plans from the North Essex councils to build around 42,000 homes in three large settlements are imprudent, disproportionate and fail to consider many reasonable reservations from community groups.
As local residents we consider the North Essex Local Plan by Braintree, Colchester and Tendring Councils to be unfit for purpose and that it will have a negative effect on the whole of North Essex, beyond the areas directly affected by those sites.
After 14 consultations and one public examination it has been shown as:
- financially unsound;
- demonstrating poor positioning of new development;
- overly focusing on massive ‘vanity’ development projects;
- largely ignoring the investigation and reuse of brownfield sites;
- showing itself clearly led by developers’ interests rather than the local communities’;
- blindly accepting imposed housing targets with no challenge for flawed methodologies;
- risking massive gridlock on already overloaded roads, including the A12, A120 and A133;
- taking our overloaded hospitals, schools and railways to breaking point;
- promising employment within the area but not enough employment land;
- failing to address the massive impact on rural communities, the coast and coastal communities.
We call on our North Essex councils to re-evaluate the Local Plan and the process which created it, and to listen more carefully to our community’s response to the Local Plan consultations.
We call for candidates in the May local elections who are independently-minded, and who are willing to stand up against the current vision, and who will champion a community-led rather than centrally imposed plan.
Today: L❤ve Colchester is counting on you
L❤ve Colchester needs your help with “Stand against housing chaos - no local plan without local people”. Join L❤ve Colchester and 1,502 supporters today.