Change the Tardy System at South Lakes
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Tardy Tables at South Lakes were created to address the growing problem of tardies in school, especially in the morning before 1st and 2nd period. While created with good intentions, these tardy table unfairly punish student who were late due to things that were out of their control, like traffic. Administrators tell students that they should leave earlier, not understanding that many students wake up very early in order to get to school on time. Most of the time, those at the tardy tables are people who walk in before 8:15, and rarely miss important instruction. By forcing them to wait in line for up to 10 minutes, they miss more than they would have if the were able to go straight to class.
At the very least, SLHS could be more lenient in the sense that there are days where there's nothing you can do about being late, and those days can happen more than 3 times in a quarter. Alternatives to the current system could include but are not limited to:
· Changing the timeframe in which a person can get tardies – instead of 3 tardies in a quarter change it to being 3 tardies in a shorter period of time, such as 2 weeks.
· Raise the threshold for when a student receives detention from 3 tardies to 5 or more.
· Have the tardy tables start giving passes at 8:15 or 8:20 in order to let those who come in right as the bell is ringing not miss the first 10 minutes of class by waiting in line for a pass.
· Increase the number of tables so they are more efficient and students won’t be any later to class from having to wait in lines.
· Make it the teacher’s discretion towards punishment – many teachers are not affected by students being 3-5 minutes late and should be allowed to address it as they please.
Many students feel like the current system is unfair, and often punishes students for things that are out of their control. If someone is chronically late to the point where it is affecting their performance in school, then that is when administrators should take action, not if a person is late 3 times in 2 months.
Today: Nicole is counting on you
Nicole Cusimano needs your help with “South Lakes High School Administrative Team: Change the Tardy System at South Lakes”. Join Nicole and 247 supporters today.