Sierra Leone Diaspora Voting rights
This petition had 3,286 supporters
CONCERNED SIERRA LEONEANS (CSL) is sponsoring a petition urging the National Elections Commission of Sierra Leone to abide by the 1991 constitution of Sierra Leone, section 31 to make adequate provisions for Sierra Leoneans in the diaspora to register to vote and exercise their right to vote in the upcoming 2018 national elections.
Concerned Sierra Leoneans is also requesting that the period to register to vote be extended to December 31st of 2017 to ensure that every Sierra Leonean eligible to vote will be given adequate time to register to vote without encumbrance and exercise their basic human right to vote as enshrined in the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights which Sierra Leone is a signatory.
By signing this petition all Sierra Leoneans at home and abroad will be making a request to the National Elections Commission and our government to abide by our constitution, uphold our laws and respect the citizenship rights of all Sierra Leoneans regardless of where they may be living.
1991 CONSTITUTION OF SIERRA LEONE
CHAPTER IV THE REPRESENTATION OF THE PEOPLE
Registration of voters.
31. Every citizen of Sierra Leone being eighteen years of age and above and of sound mind shall have the right to vote, and accordingly shall be entitled to be registered as a voter for the purposes of public elections and referenda.
Functions of the Electoral Commission.
33. Subject to the provisions of the Constitution, the Electoral Commission shall be responsible for the conduct and supervision of the registration of voters for, and of, all public elections and referenda; and for that purpose shall have power to make regulations by statutory instrument for the registration of voters, the conduct of Presidential, Parliamentary or Local Government elections and referenda, and other matters connected therewith, including regulations for voting by proxy.
United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights stipulates that the right to vote is a human right.
(1) Everyone has the right to take part in the government of his country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.
(2) Everyone has the right of equal access to public service in his country.
(3) The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent free voting procedures.
Today: Concerned Sierra Leoneans is counting on you
Concerned Sierra Leoneans needs your help with “Sierra Leone Diaspora Voting Rights Petition”. Join Concerned Sierra Leoneans and 3,285 supporters today.