Dammed to extinction, Southern Resident Orcas are starving. Time is running out!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 75,000!
The 76 remaining wild critically endangered salmon-eating Southern Resident Orcas are dying from starvation. ⇒ Leaving an effective breeding population less than 30, near the point of no recovery.
Breach the Lower Snake River Dams in 2018
Why are these Orcas starving?
More than 50% of their diet comes from salmon produced in the Columbia Basin, half of which were produced in the Snake River System.
How is dam breaching possible?
Since 2002, the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) has designated dam breaching as the best solution to recover wild salmon on the Snake River.
The Corps of Engineers can use the current EIS to breach the dams within a few months!
The Impact and benefits of breaching:
• If the lower Snake River dams were breached, it would double or triple survival rates, restoring many millions of fish to the Columbia Basin.
• Give the orcas a fighting chance to recover by increasing their food supply.
• Breaching costs the state nothing. The first two dams can be breached for the cost of another EIS estimated at $80 million; 5 years to completion.
• The four lower Snake River dams in Eastern Washington do not provide flood control and produce only low value surplus electricity.
• Savings from these dams can be applied to more efficient dams and/or projects.
• NOTHING else, not more spill across the dams, not more hatchery fish, not less boat traffic, not more studies and a new EIS can achieve this in time to save wild salmon or Southern Resident Orcas.
Congressional Legislation or new appropriations are not needed to start breaching the Snake River dams this year!
SENATOR MURRAY AND GOVERNOR INSLEE, Please take action today and urge the Army Corps' Major General Spellmon and Bonneville Power Administration's Elliot Mainzer to begin breaching dams in 2018.
Thank you to the hundreds of thousands who have petitioned for immediate dam breaching, for those of you who want more information on how to save the salmon and orcas, visit www.damsense.org
Today: Dam Sense is counting on you
Dam Sense needs your help with “Senator Murray & Governor Inslee: Dammed to extinction, Southern Resident Orcas are starving. Time is running out!”. Join Dam Sense and 50,306 supporters today.