Petition Closed

Save the UCL Health Centre

This petition had 4,722 supporters

This petition is aimed solely at the UCL Community, to show our strength of feeling; please indicate if you are a UCL student, staff-member, alumna, etc.

The UCL Health Centre, which contains the Gower Place Practice (GPP) doctors’ surgery and The Dental Centre, serves the medical needs of the UCL Community. Because the GPP has a larger than normal catchment area, stretching from Kensington to Finsbury Park to Shoreditch, many students can remain registered there for their whole time at university. About 80% of GPP’s registered patients are UCL students. There are many UCL staff among the remaining 20% of patients. The Health Centre specializes in the medical care of students, and has well-established links to the UCL Student Psychological Services and Disability services. The GPP is of particular importance to International students: 65% of the new registrations in October 2012 were students from abroad.

In this context, the decision by the management of University College London (‘London’s Global University’) to not renew the GPP’s lease after 2014 seems surprising. The building was donated to UCL in 1972 to specifically house a Student Health Centre. If UCL has other plans for the building, it should find an alternative within the UCL campus.

To the UCL Provost and Senior Management Team,

We, the undersigned, demand that UCL retain a university-centred Health Centre for students and staff, and that this health centre:
• has the same or greater level of provision as the current health centre
• is on the UCL Bloomsbury Campus, and
• is included in UCL’s Bloomsbury Masterplan, perhaps in the proposed ‘Student Centre’

We also demand that, until a long-term solution is reached, the leases of the GPP and The Dental Centre be extended to ensure no break in the continuity of care.


Today: UCLU - University College London Union is counting on you

UCLU - University College London Union needs your help with “Save the UCL Health Centre”. Join UCLU - University College London Union and 4,721 supporters today.