Save the Mornington Shelter Cats and Dogs
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
We, the people of Mornington would like to put forward a petition to SAVE any animals from being unnecessarily euthanised because they have been deemed lost, abandoned or impounded at Mornington Community Animal Shelter, Victoria. As animal lovers we know that killing these animals is WRONG and CRUEL.
Please sign the petition if you agree and it will be forwarded to the Mayor and CEO at the Mornington Peninsula Shire. We want the Shire to put a stop to animal killing and negotiate better ways to help these animals find their owners or new homes.
We request that our ratepayer funded Community Animal Shelter implement the following changes:
1. The shelter to be OPEN TO THE PUBLIC a minimum of 3 hours per day, 7 days a week with no appointment required. Section 2.13 of the Victorian Code of Practice for Operation of Shelters states: "Reasonable periods for public access to the establishment must be provided during work hours."
2. A proactive direct adoption program be implemented that includes comprehensive marketing of the animals impounded. This should include listing most animals on websites such as Petrescue and the Mornington Shire's website. The animals for adoption could also be marketed via social media, newspapers, local libraries and local radio stations. There could also be off site adoption days and open days at the shelter. Volunteers could be used to implement these strategies.
3. Simplify the adoption process without having to email back and forth and submit a 3 page adoption enquiry form, and then wait to be contacted for an appointment. Some people don't have access to a computer, so they should be able to visit the animals that are available for adoption.
4. Implement a volunteer foster care program in the community to save animals lives.
5. The Shire to have full transparency with its monthly animal shelter statistics. They need to identify numbers killed, gone to rescue groups, gone to RSPCA/AAPS/other shelters, directly adopted and include the length of stay at the shelter
6. Listing all impounded animals on the Shire's website with a CLEAR PHOTO included.
7. Reduce the adoption prices for senior dogs (senior cat prices have already been reduced).
Today: Rosy is counting on you
Rosy Fischer needs your help with “Save the Mornington Shelter Cats and Dogs”. Join Rosy and 2,752 supporters today.