- H.E. Dr. Manmohan SinghHon'ble Prime Minister of India
- H.E. Shri Tejendra KhannaHon'ble Lt Governor of Delhi
- Smt Chandresh Kumari KatochHon'ble Minister for Culture, Govt. of India
- Smt Shiela DikshitHon'ble Chief Minister of Delhi
- Shri Wajahat HabibullahChairperson, Minorities Commission of India
Save India's oldest Islamic Period Palace from demolition
We the undersigned write to you to save the Lal Mahal in Hazrat Nizamuddin Basti of Delhi from demolition and take urgent measures to acquire this structure of national importance for protection for the future generations.
LalMahal, built in AD 1240 by Ghiyasuddin Balban is the earliest Islamic palace building in India. It is also the earliest surviving building in India to use the arch and the dome. Ibn Batuta is also said to have stayed here.
Maps of the Archaeological Survey of India from 1946 and 1973 show the intention to protect the structure but these do not seem to have been taken to logical conclusion leading to partial demolitions in 2008 and further destruction and new construction on archaeological remains in May- June 2013.
The time to act is now and hope you will not allow the loss of this significant structure which must be declared a monument of national importance.
- Hon'ble Prime Minister of India
H.E. Dr. Manmohan Singh
- Hon'ble Lt Governor of Delhi
H.E. Shri Tejendra Khanna
- Hon'ble Minister for Culture, Govt. of India
Smt Chandresh Kumari Katoch
- Hon'ble Chief Minister of Delhi
Smt Shiela Dikshit
- Chairperson, Minorities Commission of India
Shri Wajahat Habibullah
Save India's oldest Islamic Palace from demolition
D H started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,714 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: D is counting on you
D H needs your help with “Save India's oldest Islamic Period Palace from demolition”. Join D and 1,713 supporters today.