Save Hank from being euthanized by Moreton Bay Regional Council
This petition made change with 117,648 supporters!
See more on Hank's story (in more details!) and what else you can do to support him at: https://savehanktheneomastiff.com/ or his Supporters Page on Facebook
Replay live video from the recent Walk for Hank on 13 January 2018 to hear from Hank's owners and the initial Investigating Officer who continues to support and advocate for Hank's release to this day.
Hank's Story, the Injustice and His Suffering
A person (child) was injured after an accident involving Hank, the Neo Mastiff. All witnesses, including the child's mother agreed it was an accident.
Whether anybody thought that the injury was deliberate or not, Hank the dog was processed under the guidelines of the AMCDA 2008 Qld and was declared dangerous. Photos and medical reports were made available to Moreton Bay Regional Council (MBRC) at that time for the investigation and this was used when forming their decision that declaring him regulated was sufficient to manage community risk.
Hank’s owners complied with the conditions attached to that declaration, confirmed by Moreton Bay Regional Council on multiple occasions, with all the regulations provided for a regulated dog. Except for his desexing, because of confusion over the dates that was required to occur, full compliance was maintained and confirmed as successful by Council over a number of months.
Whilst the declaration and appeals process was occurring, the mother of the child was happy for her daughter, and herself, to visit on many occasions after the incident and with many more witnesses too...all with Hank present.
It wasn’t until after a fall out with Hank's family and the rest of the neighbourhood that the mother went to a local state politician who contacted two Councillors and attempted to contact the Mayor and following that, the dog was seized and a destruction order issued. His seizure and destruction order (May 2017) occurred many months after the accident (October 2016), long after Hank's conditions were authorised and compliance with those conditions, confirmed.
Another fact that also remains is that MBRC were willing to put an offer on the table during mediation to have the dog returned home in December 2017, after Hank had been incarcerated for 7 months at that stage. That offer was withdrawn at the last moment by Council, just before signing off, when Council notified the mother who was very vocal about her dissatisfaction.
Due to an interference of local state politicians to change a local government decision from dangerous dog to a destruction order in a case of double jeopardy which is an abuse of power and an abuse of process. Killing a dog for failure to desex when the due date was of so much confusion even to their own Compliance department, to hide the real political influence that caused this interference of process, is unacceptable to the public and is not conducive to protecting a community generally.
What Hank's Family Are Asking
Local Councillors of Moreton Bay Regional Council and other external parties caused Hank's permit to be unfairly revoked. Hank's family are now asking for Members of Parliament to step in and reinstate Hank's approved conditions, his release and especially urgent and immediate access to adequate medical care and housing. Specifically:
- Immediate access and contact to Hank by their vet to independently assess his current condition and provide all necessary treatment without interference or restriction; and
- Immediate relaxation of the unreasonable visiting hour limitations in place for Hank's family to include access on weekends, and as frequently as they are able to attend; and
- The reinstatement urgently of the original conditions as allowed and approved prior to Hank's seizure on 23 May 2017, allowing him to promptly and without unnecessary delay to return home; and
- Furthermore, the requirement for Moreton Bay Regional Council to commit to a review of their internal processes and policies in relation its staff and representatives’ training, compliance and administration of the AM Act. And, to further review accordingly any associated Local Laws, in conjunction with consultation of the local Community and respective animal welfare bodies which is an issue relevant to all pet owners.
Please do not waste a moment in supporting Hank
To assist, please urgently:
- Sign the Petition here on Change.org.au
- Like the Facebook Page to follow updates at Save Hank the Neo Mastiff (watch the videos there from the Walk for Hank from 13/1/18 attended by Hank's family, also supported by the attendance of the original Investigating Officer)
- Donate via the GoFundMe page or for bank details for direct deposit, go here.
- Follow the Instagram page for Hank's supporters @savehanktheneomastiff
- Follow on Twitter and tweet your support!
- Share Hank’s story with other community groups, friends and family who ma also wish to join in support.
- Let’s not allow Hank to waste away and be forgotten but instead be his voice and the voice for other innocents.
Today: tristtram is counting on you
tristtram deacon needs your help with “Save Hank the Neo Mastiff from being Euthanised by Moreton Bay Regional Council #savehanktheneomastiff”. Join tristtram and 117,647 supporters today.