We, the people of San Mateo county, demand:
This petition had 68 supporters
Uniform Construction Administration Code of San Mateo County is unconstitutional and contrary to the letter and intent of the California Residential Code. Its provisions leave no rights to the homeowners over their private property and violate Due Process and the Bill of Rights. The San Mateo Building Department and its Building Official Miles Hancock interpret and apply codes arbitrarily and capriciously and in violation of the US and California Constitution.
We demand that the Supervisors:
1. REPEAL THE UNIFORM CONSTRUCTION ADMINISTRATION CODE OF SAN MATEO COUNTY AS IT REQUIRES:
- grossly unnecessarily permits for things like carpets, tile, lamps, small window awnings and minor repair, and replacement of any minor parts contrary to California codes;
- homeowners to promptly let building inspectors in for the purpose of enforcing any building code, even work done 15 years ago, or be guilty of a misdemeanor, requirement which amounts to an unconstitutional search;
- penalties for investigations at 10 times the permit fees -- up to $3,000 -- contrary to California law that limits the enforcement fees to the actual costs
2. FORM A TASK FORCE OF LOCAL RESIDENTS AND START AN IMMEDIATE INVESTIGATION INTO SAN MATEO BUILDING DEPARTMENT CODE ENFORCEMENT AND BUILDING PERMIT PRACTICES TO INQUIRE:
- whether code investigations are driven by health and safety of the county residents or political or revenue raising concerns;
- whether owners accused of violations are presumed innocent until proven guilty by convincing evidence;
- whether "stop work orders" are only used for a work in progress;
- whether investigation fees are uniformly applied and equal to the actual enforcement costs of the county and do not amount to excessive fines contrary to the VIII amendment;
WE DEMAND OUR LIBERTIES TO BE RESPECTED, OUR HOMES TO BE SAFE FROM INTRUSIONS AND OUR LAWS TO PROTECT US
Today: Maria is counting on you
Maria Rutenburg needs your help with “San Mateo County Board of Supervisors: We, the people of San Mateo county, demand:”. Join Maria and 67 supporters today.