Votes for residents on estates facing regeneration
This petition made change with 1,725 supporters!
In recent years, London has seen a number of estates undergo 'regeneration'. Many of these have resulted in demolition, the loss of much needed social homes, and the displacement of communities.
Sadiq Khan has released a ‘Draft Good Practice Guide to Estate Regeneration’, but as it stands none of the most important safeguards are enshrined. It should be a basic democratic right that people living on estates facing regeneration should get to have a vote on the different plans.
We call on Sadiq Khan to require that regeneration takes place ONLY when there is resident support. Councils must BALLOT their residents, ensuring everyone gets a VOTE in the future of their home.
As the mayor promised in his manifesto, regeneration should only go ahead with majority resident support.
- Do not demolish good homes
- All residents must have final say via ballot on any regeneration/demolition plan
- Rents need to stay at council 'social' rent levels
- Right of return must be contractually enforceable
- All financial and technical information about estates to be made public
- Leaseholders must have a right to return or receive full market value of their property
Today: Demolition Watch is counting on you
Demolition Watch London needs your help with “Sadiq Khan: Votes for residents on estates facing regeneration”. Join Demolition Watch and 1,724 supporters today.