Save the Royal Oak Farmers Market!
This petition had 3,743 supporters
The Royal Oak’s Farmers Market (ROFM) was started in 1925 and has operated for 92+ years. It is a documented premier Michigan market and recognized as institutional jewel of our city. When redevelopment threatened the market’s existence only eleven (11) years ago in 1996 citizens, vendors and market patrons protested the proposed sale of the ROFM by Oakland County. Based on the protests the City then purchased the outstanding shares from the County to SAVE the Market. It’s shamefully ironic that the same City is now attempting to allow new development to threaten the ROFM’s existence by eliminating significant surface parking through poorly planned City development projects and gifts to developers.
The market attracts thousands of customers, many of whom visit, eat and shop in our downtown before and after they stop at the market. We are appalled at lack of concern, common sense and deception in attempting to say the elimination of parking will not impact the ROFM negatively. We now need to rise up and let our voices be heard as the empty chairs at the City Commission have not been listening! We need to protest these egregious activities if we want to see the Royal Oak Farmers Market to continue to thrive long into the future.
We, the undersigned, want the City of Royal Oak to comply with our wishes and the Master Plan by committing to continue to “maintain and improve the Farmers Market” and demand the City, the Mayor and City Commissioners of Royal Oak:
- Immediately stop all work on the Central Park Development.
- Rethink, reevaluate and revise the placement of the proposed new City Hall and Police Station so that they do not negatively impact the ROFM and cause the elimination of more surface parking utilized by Market shoppers.
- Develop a revised Central Development plan with a stated goal of embracing and enhancing the long-term viability of the Farmers Market, neighboring businesses and all other Royal Oak stakeholders.
- For all current and future development projects, use a planning process that is transparent, based on stakeholder and taxpayer input that includes all the necessary studies (traffic, parking, environmental, economic impact and other studies) that are publically available and whose findings are incorporated shared and into the project plans.
- Insure that any revised Central Development be financially self-sustaining with no municipal monies or assets being given to any developer at less than fair market value and that there is no negative impact on this city institution the ROFM.
- The covert Central Park Development Project be cancelled and any new opportunities are opened up to allow competitive bidding to any interested developer that wishes with the City adhering to and following, not shirking, its fiduciary duties to the citizens of Royal Oak.
Today: Save the Farmers Market Committee is counting on you
Save the Farmers Market Committee needs your help with “Royal Oak: Save the Royal Oak Farmers Market!”. Join Save the Farmers Market Committee and 3,742 supporters today.