PFLC St Teresa of Avila - STAY OPEN
This petition made change with 343 supporters!
The Region of Peel and Dufferin Peel Catholic District School Board (DPCDSB) are transitioning children's programs under one umbrella of EarlyON. As a result, many existing and successful programs, like Parenting and Family Literacy Centres (PFLCs) are being shut down. This includes our PFLC at St Teresa of Avila, which will be shutting its doors to our toddlers as of June 2018.
With the switch to EarlyON, the Region of Peel is looking for new sites and third-party service providers to run the family programs. What does this mean for us right now? That come September 2018 there will not be sufficient space in existing locations to accommodate those families whose Centres are being shut down. Additionally, no dates have been provided as to when capicity in existing locations will be expanded (there "may be" plans to build - which we all know takes time).
The closure of PFLC at St Teresa of Avila is having a major impact on the families in the Meadowvale community (and beyond). This has become a second home to many of us - a place where we feel welcome, safe, and where our children learn, grow, and share.
When the closure was announced to the families, the Region of Peel mentioned that there were two existing locations in the are that we would be amalgamating with. However, this does not meet the needs of our families due to:
- Distance - many of our families walk to the St Teresa of Avila location and the alternative locations would only be accessible via car or bus
- Capacity - the existing locations will not be increasing capacity; hence, not providing additional space for our families
- Schedule - existing locations have limited days and hours during which they operate
- Programming - existing location have a small range of activities being offered
This petition is being brought forth as a life line to STOP THE CLOSURE OF THE PFLC AT ST TERESA OF AVILA OR TO PROVIDE A FACILITY THAT MEETS OUR FAMILIES NEEDS.
What our families are looking to preserve:
- Either remain at St Teresa of Avila or have a location in close proximity
- Schedule of 3-4 hours on weekday mornings, 5 days a week
- Drop in program with a large variety of activities - both structured and free play
PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION AND HELP SAVE OUR CHILDREN'S CENTRE!!
Share this petition with family, friends, neighbours, colleagues - together we can make a difference!!
Today: Alicja is counting on you
Alicja Kotarska needs your help with “Region of Peel: PFLC St Teresa of Avila - STAY OPEN”. Join Alicja and 342 supporters today.