Save the UC Berkeley Racquetball/Handball/Squash Courts!
This petition made change with 526 supporters!
* UC Berkeley’s Recreation Sports Facility (RSF) was built with student referendum funds to serve students.
* RSF includes high quality squash and racquetball/handball courts which have been used for over 30 years by students and student teams as well as faculty, staff and community members. Many thousands of students have learned squash, handball and racquetball on these courts. UCB has handball and racquetball teams competing nationally.
* Previously one of the existing nine courts was converted into a room for cycling/spinning machines leaving 8 remaining courts (3 for squash; 5 for handball/racquetball).
* On Friday 7.15.2016 RSF management publicly announced a plan to permanently eliminate three of the remaining courts and convert them into space for stretching and cardio machines. Sports courts which have served UCB students and teams for decades are being converted into floor space for machines and mats. Their plan is to start work on Monday 7.18.2016 leaving no time for consultation.
We note that:
* This plan has not been properly reviewed and approved by the Rec Sports Board of Governors.
* If carried through, this plan will leave only two courts for squash and three for handball/racquetball. These numbers are clearly inadequate for teams of ten and twenty students. The loss of these courts will negatively affect the student handball, racquetball and squash teams that need these courts to practice, compete and attract new student players.
* As the #1 public university in the world, UCB is committed to accessibility and diversity. Courts for handball, racquetball and squash are rare. Eliminating courts designed and built for these sports does not make economic sense and will diminish the access and diversity of opportunities for students.
* The plans were made without consulting the students, teams and community which will be most affected by the significant reduction in usable courts.
We call for this project to be put on hold and properly reviewed by the Rec Sports Board of Governors with ample opportunity for students, faculty, staff and community members to provide input.
To move forward without this review violates the 1981 referendum and breaks trust with the students overall and especially current and potential handball, racquetball and squash players.
Today: richard is counting on you
richard sterling needs your help with “Recreation Sports Facility Management: Save the UC Berkeley Racquetball/Handball/Squash Courts!”. Join richard and 525 supporters today.