Save Christchurch Meadows
This petition had 1,792 supporters
Reading Borough Council have proposed the construction of a commercial high ropes course, adventure golf and other developments on Christchurch Meadows in Caversham. We object to any such development on this beautiful area of historic public open space.
The proposals set out in the 2013 Thames Parks consultation document completely contradict the Council's own 2009 Reading Central Area Action Plan (RCAAP), which lists Christchurch Meadows as the first of 10 important areas of public open space that 'will be protected from development' (p.54).
If these developments were to go ahead, they would
- permanently disfigure and change the character of this popular and well-used part of the local river frontage
- be likely to increase the incidence and severity of flooding in Caversham
- lead to a significant increase in vehicle traffic in an already heavily congested area
- be detrimental for nesting areas and wildlife on and around the Meadows
- result in signage, fencing, access roads and lighting that are completely inappropriate for this green space.
The consultation on the proposals was self-serving: its insufficient detail and over-simplified, leading questions made it too easy to say 'yes' to a development that is primarily intended to help improve the Council's financial position. Taking the proposals forward on this basis is wrong.
We want the Council to stick to its commitment to protect Christchurch Meadows from development and retain it as an informal, multi-use, freely accessible open space at the heart of Reading and the Thames Parks.
Save Christchurch Meadows!
Today: Save Christchurch Meadows Campaign is counting on you
Save Christchurch Meadows Campaign needs your help with “Reading Borough Council: Save Christchurch Meadows”. Join Save Christchurch Meadows Campaign and 1,791 supporters today.