REACHING OUT TO MORE HINDU TEMPLES OF NORTH AMERICA - PRADOSHAM - March 02 2015 - MINIMIZE THE USE OF MILK (OBTAINED THROUGH VIOLENCE AND EXPLOITATION) FOR ABHISHEKAM (ritualistic bathing)(Pradosham - thirteenth day of every fortnight in Hindu calendar)
This petition had 328 supporters
This fate of these cows and calves (as you saw in the video) is the result of the DEMAND of milk by us (HUMANS). SO PLEASE ACT. THEIR FATE IS IN OUR HANDS.
THE ABOVE VIDEO SHOULD IMMEDIATELY BRING ABOUT A CHANGE IN THE WAY YOU CONSUME DAIRY PRODUCTS.
WHAT CAN THE DEVOTEES DO?
- At the minimum, please restrict the volume of milk you sponsor for the Pradosham event on March 02 2015. For example instead of buying gallons of milk, restrict to a pint of milk. If you can completely avoid supermarket milk, it is all the more great.
- If possible, try to obtain milk from a nearby Goshala. Please note that all kind of milk (non-organic, organic, farm milk etc ) obtained from supermarket shelves are from sources that involve violence to cows.
WHAT CAN THE TEMPLE MANAGEMENT DO?
- Request devotees by prior email communication to bring not more than a pint of milk.
- Temple could collect a monetary donation (say 1 or 2 or 3 USD) from devotees and provide them a pint of milk that was obtained preferably from a nearby Goshala.
WHY SHOULD WE NOT BUY MILK FROM SUPERMARKET?
Milk in the supermarket shelves are sourced from dairy farms or industry where the following procedures (cruel, insensitive and violent) are being practiced:
- Female cows are strapped to a rack and inseminated with semen stored in a massive syringe. There are 9 million dairy cows in the United States. Nearly every one of them suffers immensely from the results of this experience.
- Because the cow’s milk has been reserved for human consumption, the calf is forcibly removed from the mother soon (and sometimes immediately) after birth.
- The mother’s offspring, depending on sex, will face one of two fates. Male dairy calves become “veal calves.” Some of them are slaughtered while only a few days old, others within a few months–it all depends on the kind of meat desired by the market. The female dairy calves, for their part, follow in their mothers’ footsteps. They’re fattened and prepared for impregnation at the age of fourteen months.
- The normal lifespan of a female cow is around 20 years old. The typical dairy cow, who goes through several rounds of forced impregnations, experiences a drop in milk production after five years. Dairy cows not only routinely develop mastitis, but they enter the gates of the abattoir (Slaughter house) somewhere between the ages of 5-7.
Courtesy :James McWilliams, Professor of History at Texas State University
Keeping all the above points in reference, it is very clear that the gallons of milk we buy from the supermarket shelf are products of exploitation and violence.
RELIGIOUS or RITUALISTIC BATHING OF HINDU DEITIES WITH MILK SHOULD BE DONE WITH MILK OBTAINED FROM A GOSHALA (COW SANCTUARY or FARM).
SOME TEMPLES HAVE ALREADY STARTED THEIR OWN GOSHALA to procure milk for their temple or have turned towards existing Goshalas in the nearby areas to procure milk. For other temples to follow the same footsteps, the DEVOTEES should minimize buying or sponsoring milk that are bought from the supermarkets. We also understand that all temples cannot have a goshala and hence they should make an effort to at least reduce the usage of milk drastically.
Today: Karthik is counting on you
Karthik Jayaraman needs your help with “REACHING OUT TO MORE HINDU TEMPLES OF NORTH AMERICA - PRADOSHAM - March 02 2015 - MINIMIZE THE USE OF MILK (OBTAINED THROUGH VIOLENCE AND EXPLOITATION) FOR ABHISHEKAM (ritualistic bathing)(Pradosham - thirteenth day of every fortnight in Hindu calendar)”. Join Karthik and 327 supporters today.