Petition Closed
Petitioning Bernalillo County Commissioner Michael C. Weiner and 4 others

Rape's No Joke: Call for County Commissioner Wiener’s Resignation

A sexual harassment complaint has been filed against Commissioner Weiner.

The investigator indicated Commissioner Wiener told the following joke to county officials:

“Have you heard about the fraulein (woman) who came over from Germany? She was walking in the park and eleven men jumped on her and were raping here and the fraulein said “nein, nein” and so two got off.”

The independent investigator concluded the following: 

“It should be noted that although there is no individual liability under Title VII, Commissioner Wiener could be sanctioned about the possibility that there could conceivably be some individual liability in a lawsuit pursuant to Section 1983 and the New Mexico Human Rights Act."

The complainant alleges the following:

On January 3, 2011, Comm. Wiener stood in the door way of the complainant's office and commented on two occasions “looking good”

On February 8, 2011, while in Comm. Wiener’s office talking about County business, Comm. Wiener told the following sexually offensive joke, “Did you know that the BC Commission now has a Wiener and a Johnson on it”?  

On February 17, 2011, the complainant alleged that she was in her office working when she overheard BC Comm. Wiener and another commissioner talking and heard Comm. Wiener shouting, “I can’t say that or a commissioner will tell me that I’m creating a hostile work environment” after Commissioner Wiener was proactively, affirmatively and very directly informed that his actions were creating a hostile work environment.

 In 2010 Commissioner Wiener emailed the following joke to county officials:

"In a recent survey requested by President Obama, African-Americans have proved to be the most likely to have sex in the shower! In the survey, carried out for him by a leading toiletries firm, a huge majority, 86 percent, of African-Americans said that they have enjoyed sex in the shower. The other 14 percent said they hadn't been to prison yet."

Discrimination cannot be tolerated. Elected officials must be held to the highest ethical standards expected by the constituents who put them in office. Any elected official who engages in repeated ethical lapses must step down from their office.

Please help us hold Commissioner Wiener accountable by signing this petition supporting women who have been harrassed in the workplace, calling on the Commission to censure Michael Wiener and demanding his resignation.


This petition was delivered to:
  • Bernalillo County Commissioner
    Michael C. Weiner
  • Bernallilo County Commissioner
    Wayne Johnson
  • Bernalillo County Commissioner
    Maggie Hart-Stebbings
  • Bernalillo County Commissioner
    Art de la Cruz
  • Bernalillo County Commissioner
    Michelle Lujan-Grisham

Women Against Workplace Discrimination started this petition with a single signature, and now has 678 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.

Today: Women Against is counting on you

Women Against Workplace Discrimination needs your help with “Rape's No Joke: Call for County Commissioner Wiener’s Resignation”. Join Women Against and 677 supporters today.