Petition Closed

Get large stores to protect and save ocean life

This petition had 1,440 supporters

Recently, in Norway a whale was discovered after multiple beachings with severe damage to the intestines. The Warden's in Norway put down the whale and dissected her, only to discover she had 30 plastic bags inside of the stomach. The stomach also contained other plastic products. If big brand stores and shopping centers started using biodegradable waste bags, it could prevent further environmental hazardous incidents from happening again and again. 

Biodegradable waste bags allow bacteria and other organisms to decompose the bags. These bags will decompose when they come into contact with certain organisms. These bags could be the difference between life and death for ocean life, and some creatures in the sky. Companies all over the world are using biodegradable bags.

When people think they recycle their plastic bags what they think happens when the bags leave their sight is completely different than reality. According to Greener Ideal, "There are many places that they [plastic bags] can be taken to be recycled, but in reality figures show that only 1% of all plastic bags are recycled, with most heading for landfill, or worse, our oceans." The other 99% ends up in the oceans, on the road, in a trail, in trees, in the wind, and many more places. 

My goal is, as a 15 year-old daughter, is to make a difference and stand up for what I believe in. I wish to live long enough to see an ocean clean from all human trash. I long to look into the sky and see a blue sky, not one clouded by factory "clouds". When you go to the beach, if you do, do you want to see beached whales choking on plastic bags leftover from someone's shopping trip? Do you wish to see dead sea creatures litter the sand with death? Or do you wish to see healthy sea life? 

According to Greener Ideal, a website dedicated to the fight for organic products, "Plastic bags tend to disrupt the environment in a serious way. They get into soil and slowly release toxic chemicals. They eventually break down into the soil, with the unfortunate consequence being that animals eat them and often choke and die." What has to happen for people to wake up and see how these bags that are used for shopping, have the power to kill nearly everything in the ocean? 

I hope that you stand with me in the fight for ocean life. Flippers up America. 

Today: Victoria is counting on you

Victoria Morgan needs your help with “Publix Super Markets: Get large stores to protect and save ocean life”. Join Victoria and 1,439 supporters today.