Provide a quality, funded school day
Children in Chicago receive less arts education, less physical education, less world language and bilingual education, less social studies and integrated technology than their peers around the country. CPS students have been shortchanged in their curriculum for decades. Chicago is about to implement the longest school day in the nation without any extra funding to go with it. Our children deserve better! Sign this petition to tell the city and CPS and Chicago's elected officials who all approved the longest day with no funding that your kids need a well-rounded, funded day and a 7.5 hour unfunded day is unacceptable. We are not endorsing any exact length of time, we are saying that quality and funding must come with any extension to the day, and that the current school day is underfunded.
Parents and students in CPS want:
1) A curriculum for all in addition to reading, math and science that includes regular physical education, arts (visual, drama, dance), music, recess, language acquisition, social studies and civics, and integrated technology led by a teacher.
2) Better supports in the schools from social workers, psychologists, nurses and other developmental supports that address the needs of the whole child.
3) Early childhood education and class sizes in primary grades that are manageable and allow kids to get the attention they need to learn and grow.
4) Facilities upgrades. Many of our schools are in dire need of repair and upgrading.
5) Our children have been stuck in a punitive culture of test prep and over-testing. They are being measured and assessed constantly at the elementary level, cutting into valuable learning time.
Today: Raise Your Hand is counting on you
Raise Your Hand Coalition needs your help with “Provide a quality, funded school day”. Join Raise Your Hand and 1,391 supporters today.