Stop the Pickering Airport !
This petition had 1,187 supporters
In 1972 the federal government expropriated 18,600 acres (7,500 ha) of prime farmland and pristine watersheds east of Toronto for a Pickering International Airport, claiming urgent need. The airport was never built, still isn’t needed 42 years later, and may never be needed. Yet out of the blue, in 2013, Ottawa announced a (slightly smaller) Pickering Airport scheme. The new plans for an airport and adjacent “economic development” would destroy 13,600 acres (5,500 ha) of best-quality farmland and important wildlife habitat.
We say that:
1. Building an unneeded airport is an inexcusable waste of taxpayers’ money.
2. Putting an airport or other development on foodland is grossly irresponsible; farmland is permanently destroyed by development.
3. Such development would eliminate important natural habitat and essential wildlife corridors adjacent to the new Rouge National Urban Park.
4. Foodland close to Canada’s largest and fastest-growing city must be fiercely protected to ensure future food security.
5. No government has a right to deprive future generations of an irreplaceable food and freshwater resource.
Today: Land Over Landings is counting on you
Land Over Landings needs your help with “Prime Minister Stephen Harper: Stop the Pickering Airport !”. Join Land Over Landings and 1,186 supporters today.