Open Parliament as scheduled and stop undemocratic prorogation!
In August 2013 Prime Minister Stephen Harper confirmed that he would be proroguing (shutting down) the House and Senate for an extra month. He is doing this to avoid questions about Senate spending and other scandals currently plaguing his government. This means Parliament will be closed for more than 1/3 of the fall session!
Whether Parliament is sitting or not, it costs $24 million per month to run.
We've already been through the 2008 and 2009 prorogations where the Harper Government shut down Parliament even though it was unfair, undemocratic, and unethical. Despite public outcry nothing has changed and yet again Parliament is being prorogued, so it is time to call for new laws to limit the abuse of prorogation.
Fight for democracy in Canada by pushing Prime Minister Harper to open Parliament on September 16th, as scheduled, and by pushing all federal politicians to pass a law limiting prorogation by:
1) only allowing the Prime Minister alone to prorogue when the legislature is already adjourned, and only for the adjournment time period.
2) requiring approval of 2/3 of MPs in the House of Commons before a prorogation can happen when the House is open.
3) limiting the length of prorogation to a maximum of 2 weeks.
4) requiring that the legislature be opened within 30 days after each election.
- Member of Parliament Calgary Southwest
- Prime Minister
- Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada
- Leader of the NDP
- Leader, New Democratic Party of Canada / Chef, Nouveau Parti démocratique du Canada
- Prime Minister of Canada/Premier ministre du Canada
- Leader, Conservative Party of Canada / Chef, Parti Conservateur du Canada
- Leader, Liberal Party of Canada/Chef, Parti libéral du Canada
Leader, Liberal Party of Canada/Chef, Parti libéral du Canada Justin Trudeau
Prime Minister Stephen Harper and federal party leaders
I am asking that you open Parliament as scheduled on September 16, 2013, and pass restrictions on the use of prorogation immediately thereafter.
Prorogations by Prime Minister Harper's Government and Prime Minister Chretien's government and shutdowns of provincial legislatures in British Columbia, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Ontario make it clear that new rules are needed across Canada to ensure fairness and democratic accountability in the opening and shutting down of legislatures.
I am calling for a bill with the following measures to ensure that prorogation is not used as a partisan tool:
1) Only allowing the Prime Minister alone to prorogue when the legislature is already adjourned, and only for the adjournment time period.
2) Requiring approval of 2/3 of MPs in the House of Commons before a prorogation can happen when the House is open.
3) Limiting the length of prorogation to a maximum of 2 weeks.
4) Requiring that the legislature be opened within 30 days after each election.
Democracy Watch started this petition with a single signature, and now has 177 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Democracy Watch is counting on you
Democracy Watch needs your help with “Prime Minister Stephen Harper: Open Parliament as scheduled and stop undemocratic prorogation!”. Join Democracy Watch and 176 supporters today.