Conclusive Statement demanded from Government of St. Lucia on St. Jude's Hospital!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
St. Jude's Hospital was partially burned eight (8) years ago in a fire. After waiting on a repair, which turned into a complete rebuild into a proposed state of the art facility, we are still waiting on the new hospital to be opened to the public. With buildings that to the eye look completed, we are now being told by Minister of Health Mary Isaac, that the Government is considering tearing down the building to move and rebuild elsewhere. The Citizens of Saint Lucia demand an explanation!
News article excerpt:
Minister of Health Senator Mary Isaac revealed [September 14] that the Allen Chastanet Administration is ‘considering’ scrapping the current building plant expected to house the overdue St. Jude Hospital.
• Fire destroyed the surgical wing of the St. Jude Hospital in 2009.
• Operations have been moved to the Sir George Odlum Stadium in Vieux – Fort.
• Former Prime Minister Stephenson King during the 2006 - 2011 United Workers Party [UWP] Administration led the reconstruction efforts that reportedly began in 2010.
• Construction firm Halcrow was awarded the contract to rebuild St. Jude Hospital.
• Governments changed and the [2011 – 2016] Dr. Kenny Anthony led Saint Lucia Labor Party [SLP]
Administration retained Halcrow to continue St. Jude reconstruction.
HTS News4orce understands that preliminary repair estimates ranged from more than $500,000 in 2010, to more than 7 million dollars by 2011.
To date, more than $100 million dollars in taxpayer money and grants have been spent on St. Jude Hospital.
Within months of assuming Office in June 2016, the UWP Administration led by Allen Chastanet halted all construction. Economic Development Minister Guy Joseph authorized FDL Consults to conduct a technical audit to understand the delays holding up the completion of St. Jude.
• FDL was paid a reported $980,000 by the government to conduct the technical audit on St. Jude.
News4orce obtained a leaked copy of the more than 300 page FDL technical audit.
Recommendations to the government included:
• Abandonment of the facility.
• Injecting more cash for a costly upgrade.
• Building another facility at a different site.
The FDL report has diagnosed that St. Jude presently:
• Does not meet electrical standards
• Does not meet safety standards
• Does not meet accreditation standards
Additionally, the report alleges approval from / by the Development Control Authority [DCA] has not been granted for construction at the current site.
On the sidelines of a Senate Sitting, Health Minister Isaac told local reporters reconstruction plans had been ‘deviated’ and noted that the current building ‘does not conform’ to global standards. The Health Minister suggested the government may not have a choice other than to demolish the hospital building.
• FDL Consults, according to the technical audit estimated a further $100 million dollars is required to finish the job.
Senator Isaac said the government is ‘not sure’ where additional revenue will come from to undertake rebuilding St. Jude Hospital. [Watch video]
Today: Citizens of Vfort is counting on you
Citizens of Vfort needs your help with “Prime Minister Hon. Allen Chastanet : Conclusive Statement demanded for Government of St. Lucia on St. Jude's Hospital!”. Join Citizens of Vfort and 2,378 supporters today.