“Bharat Ratna” For NTR
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
Problem we want to solve: Bharat Ratna Award for NTR (Nandamoori Taraka Rama Rao).
In spite of tremendous contributions in the field of arts, politics and social reformation, NTR is not being recognized by the Government of India with the Bharat Ratna award. He is the most deserving personality for the Bharat Ratna award. Telugu people have been asking for this award for NTR since 2 decades and it is high time that the award is given to NTR, respecting his contributions and sentiments of Telugu people’.
Achievements of NTR:
1. NTR established a world record by forming the government in Andhra Pradesh, India, within 9 months of establishing Telugu Desam party.
2. Modified the Hindu-Succession-Act to give equal default property inheritance rights for Women.
3. Abolished the exploitative Patel-Patwari system and brought in mandal system that ensured better governance and liberated millions of downtrodden people.
4. Established EAMCET to ensure meritorious candidates will get into professional colleges and not people who can make donations. Overhauled the entire state’s education syllabus for schools. He instituted statewide entrance examinations for major disciplines of higher education vis-à-vis Engineering and Medicine, called EAMCET (Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test). Students, based on the merit of their ranks obtained in these tests, could join any state college of their choice.3
5. Rs.2 per Kg of rice for agricultural laborers making less than Rs.500/month.
6. Built 500,000 houses for the poor replacing the thatched houses.
7. Built Telugu Ganga Project to supply irrigation water to Rayalaseema and drinking water to Chennai
8. Set up APRJC so that rural youth could compete in national and international level and this has produced some excellent results. Andhra Pradesh Residential Education Institutions Society founded in 1972 with two institutes was revamped under NTR’s government in 1988 with the passing of “G.O.Ms.No.363, Education (SSE.I) Department”. The institutions were founded to provide exemplary primary education to Rural and Socially disadvantaged youth. NTR’s reforms to this institution expanded the number of facilities to 220, made them directly administered by Minister of Education, with a 22 member board to guide the institution. The institution especially APRJC( Andhra Pradesh Residential Junior Colleges) flourished and ended up sending five times more students to elite institutions such as IITs and BITS, making Andhra the only state that produces so many elite experts with Rural and Disadvantaged backgrounds.
9. After getting elected in 1983 his first legislation was the passing of Andhra Pradesh upa lok pal (civil society OMBUDSMAN) bill inspired by Scandinavian laws. The A.P. Lokayukta Act 11 of 1983 came into force with effect on November 1, 1983 .The law allows any citizen to start an investigation of any person in power (including chief minister himself) with the help of Judiciary, lawyers, community leaders and independent investigators.
10. Brought in Prohibition by passing Legislation and dissolved government manufacture of cheap alcohol aimed at the mass market segment.
11. Paycheques of category 3 or lower employees can be cashed only with a spousal signature, thus creating an explicit legal right for women in their spouse’s earnings.
12. Creation of Special Commando Force for Andhra Pradesh.
13. Took Vizag Steel Plant Live. Visakhapatnam steel plant, which had been struggling since its foundation went live on production during his term, in no small part, due to his active lobbying with the central government
14. He brought in worldwide medical talent and improved high end medical capabilities of NIMS and OSMANIA in Hyderabad and founded a medical university in Vijayawada.
15. He built the largest bus station in Asia at the time in Hyderabad, the Mahatma Gandhi Bus Station (MGBS)
16. He introduced entrance exams for Vedic subjects and opened up priest positions in temples to all communities.
17. He adorned the Tank Bund road in Hyderabad with the statues of great Telugu personalities creating a sense of heritage and pride among Telugu people.
18. He guaranteed one light bulb per household to give educational opportunities to the lowest economic class of rural Andhra Pradesh.
19. He reformed water distribution system from major reservoirs in the state by giving farmer organizations (raitu sangam) a say in planning.
20. Commissioned the largest Buddha statue in the world at the time in Hussain Sagar, Hyderabad to highlight the Buddhist heritage and history of Andhra Pradesh.
21. NTR introduced a mid-day-meal program for primary school children.
22. Built Telugu Ganga Project to supply Irrigation water to Rayalaseema and Drinking water to Chennai
23. Introduced Private buses and asked APSRTC to compete with them. NTR successfully repealed the Andhra Safe Road Transport Act that nationalized private bus services saying he wanted to encourage small business allowing for private buses to compete with government road transport. He changed the mandate of government transportation to provide road service for under-served markets (villages). Every village got road service during his tenure.
24. Introduced Subsidized Clothing scheme for Women
25. Offered power to Farmers at Rs.50 per unit, because he understood their financial challenges at that time.
Today: Kommineni is counting on you
Kommineni Vikas needs your help with “president : “Bharat Ratna” For NTR”. Join Kommineni and 119 supporters today.