Build Rail not Tunnelled Toll Roads - Build for a Sustainable Future
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
We need a safe, effective and sustainable traffic and transport solution to the long known problem of over-congestion on the Spit Bridge and Military Road.
The proposed Western Harbour Tunnel and Northern Beaches Link will not address this problem. Considering the additional density planned for the Northern Beaches, the tunnel infrastructure will be obsolete before it opens - just like the M5.
Today's media reports are very concerning:
The proposed tunnels will bring unfiltered pollution close to our schools and parks and funnel more traffic onto the already over-congested choke-point at the Warringah Freeway.
Given the work currently underway on the new metro line and tunnel to Barangaroo, the option of a rail line from the Northern Beaches to Chatswood must be considered as a viable and sustainable alternative.
As passionate North Sydney citizens who are also current independent North Sydney Councillors, we ask you to sign our petition calling on the State Government to immediately:
* halt all works on the Western Harbour Tunnel and Northern Beaches Link tunnel until a comprehensive and holistic traffic and transport plan has been developed for the lower north shore and northern beaches
* undertake such a comprehensive traffic and transport plan which includes consideration of future proposed density for the Northern Beaches and Lower North Shore
* ensure that the traffic and transport plan includes analysis of a rail spur from the Northern Beaches to the new metro line and exisiting North Shore line at Chatswood or St Leonards
* release the cabinet-in-confidence document on the Western Harbour Tunnel & Northern Beaches Link in full
* undertake comprehensive and meaningful community consultation
The proposed Western Harbour Tunnel and Northern Beaches Link is inconsistent with the Productivity, Liveability and Sustainability objectives for Sydney which were determined by the Greater Sydney Commission.
The Western Harbour Tunnel and Northern Beaches Link is an expensive, unsustainable and polluting infrastructure proposal. No regard has been shown for the health and safety of school children and residents.
Further information including the North Sydney Council submission can be found at:
Zoe Baker, Independent Councillor - North Sydney Council
MaryAnn Beregi, Independent Councillor - North Sydney Council
Tony Carr, Independent Councillor - North Sydney Council
Melissa Clare, Independent Councillor and Deputy Mayor, North Sydney Council
Jeff Morris, Independent Councillor, North Sydney Council
Michel Reymond, Independent Councillor, North Sydney Council
Today: North Sydney is counting on you
North Sydney Independent needs your help with “Premier Gladys Berejiklian: Build Rail not Tunnelled Toll Roads - Build for a Sustainable Future”. Join North Sydney and 439 supporters today.