Premier Denis Napthine and the Victorian Government: No East/West Road Corridor; Fund The Melbourne Rail Projects
This petition had 56 supporters
The Victorian Government is pushing ahead with development of the road tunnel under the inner northern suburbs of Melbourne to connect the end of the Eastern Freeway in Collingwood with the start of CitiLink in Flemington, ignoring the development projects of greater need: the Doncaster rail line, the Metro rail tunnel, and the Tullamarine Airport rail link.
· despite mounting evidence, even from within the Government's own Departments, that an East/West road tunnel will do little to ease existing traffic congestion on Hoddle St and Alexandra Parade.
· completely dependent on a promise from the Federal Opposition of $1.5 billion in funding if they get into office at the next election.
· despite $3 billion in funds being made available now for the Metro rail tunnel from the Federal Government.
. despite opposition from all relative and affected local government bodies; City of Moreland, City of Melbourne, City of Maribyrnong, City of Moonee Valley and City of Yarra.
· despite conclusive evidence that building extra roads is simply a stop gap measure, as these roads will in-turn become congested themselves with more vehicles.
· despite conclusive evidence that getting single drivers out of cars and onto public transport is not only quicker for them, but frees the roads up for better freight use.
· despite numerous calls from various stakeholders and the public at large for better public transport investment, particularly a Doncaster rail line down the center of the Eastern Freeway where the land has been earmarked since the Freeway's inception.
· despite numerous reports that a rail link to Melbourne Airport is in the best interests of the state's productivity.
· despite land for the Melbourne Airport Rail link being earmarked for more than 20 years, and the release of reports from the Government's own Departments designating the best routes to the Airport as still viable.
Today: Lukas is counting on you
Lukas Xuereb needs your help with “Premier Denis Napthine and the Victorian Government: No East/West Road Corridor; Fund The Melbourne Rail Projects”. Join Lukas and 55 supporters today.