Improve Support for Kinship Caregivers
This petition had 8,385 supporters
John was in his 70's. His daughter was no longer able to care for her little baby boy. John faced a choice - let his grandson be taken into foster care OR raise the baby on his own. (For more stories like John's)
- In BC there are estimated to be 11,000 children & youth being raised full time by their grandparents (or other relatives). Their stories are varied, but many of the threads are the same: loss, isolation, grief, hardship, love and determination.
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren (GRGs) face complicated bureaucracies – legal, financial, and governmental – that are difficult (and often expensive) to navigate. Poverty is a serious risk (as they receive little, if any, financial support, and often spend what savings they might have on fighting for and supporting their grandkids). They lose friends, and seniors’ programming and housing rarely meet the needs of GRG families.
- The children are the priority for these grandparents (and other kin). These children need and deserve, love, stability and all the support possible to ensure they thrive. We know that children have better outcomes when raised in loving families.
British Columbia can take leadership in recognizing the value of grandparents (and other kinship care providers) who are raising their grandkids full time. We urge that your government:
- Provide families with a monthly benefit equivalent to that provided to foster parents.
- Provide Grandparents Raising Grandchildren, and all Kinship Care providers, access to respite, child care, and the same training received by foster parents.
- Commit to funding that ensures no child in care will grow up in poverty.
Today: Parent Support Services Society of BC is counting on you
Parent Support Services Society of BC needs your help with “Premier Christy Clark: Improve Support for Kinship Caregivers”. Join Parent Support Services Society of BC and 8,384 supporters today.