New amendments to the Animal Protection Act introduced on October 1, 2013 in South Korea will greatly improve the welfare of the animals in Korea. Therefore, it is very important that all of the provisions in this bill passes in order to lay the legal foundation to protect animals from cruelty and to increase the level of standards of welfare for Korean animals. Read more about this proposed amendment: http://koreandogs.org/amendments-apa/
Although this bill DOES NOT include provisions for dog meat ban if we can significantly strengthened the provisions to prohibit animal cruelty and increase the standard of animal welfare through passing of this bill, then we will get closer to the substantive ban of dog farms and be able to bring forward the complete ban of dog meat trade someday.
What will change if this bill passes?
1. The name of the law will change from ‘Animal Protection Act’ to ‘Animal Welfare Act’!!
2. Human responsibility as a principle, from recommendations to obligations!!
3. Widen the range of animals protected
4. Provisions prohibiting animal cruelty become concretized, refined and strengthened
5. Provide concrete measures to protect animals from abusers
6. Only the animal testing that follows animal welfare principle will be allowed
7. Bill proposes welfare principles for the farm animals as well
8. Restrict who can buy or sell animals
9. Qualification of animal protection inspectors and honorary inspectors will be heightened and their responsibility will be strengthened
10. More severe penalties. Prevention of animal abuse, education and even rehabilitation of animal abusers!
Click here for detail: http://koreandogs.org/amendments-apa/
Please send messages urging members of the Agricultural and Livestock Committee of the South Korean National Assembly to pass this important legislation as quickly as possible.
Dear members of the Agricultural and Livestock Committee of the National Assembly,
Thank you for your dedicated legislative contributions. We greatly appreciate you for passing meaningful amendments to the Animal Protection Act several times during this 19th National Assembly. A very important and meaningful amendments to the Animal Protection Act that transcends multiple political parties have been proposed. This amendments includes a lot of proposals to improve South Korea’s standards for animal protection and welfare so we are very hopeful. We look forward to the 19th National Assembly’s great contribution in fostering awareness in South Korean society about respect for life by making more improvement in Animal Protection Act than ever before.
국회 농축산위원회 위원님들께,
위원님의 헌신적인 의정활동에 감사드립니다.
이번 19대 국회에서 몇 차례 의미있는 동물보호법 개정을 해 주신 데 대해 깊이 감사드립니다.
이번에 정당을 초월해서 여러 당의 국회의원님들이 참여하는 뜻깊은 동물보호법 개정안이 발의됩니다.
이번 개정안에는 우리나라의 동물보호, 복지 수준을 높일 수 있는 많은 제안들이 포함되어 있어 일반국민들과 세계인들의 기대가 매우 큽니다.
19대 국회가 어느 때보다도 많이 동물보호법을 개정해서 우리 사회의 생명존중의식 함양에 크게 기여한 국회가 될 수 있기를 기대해 봅니다.