Petition Closed

Inspections and revised regulations regarding pools to avoid Electric Shock drownings

This petition had 1,502 supporters

My 17 year old daughter Rachel rosoff was electrocuted while life guarding Sept. 3rd 2016. The water was electrified causing her to be paralyzed and unable to move resulting in her being consciously aware of her situation while drowning, being unable to save herself. In North Carolina pools are only required to have an electrical inspection at the time the pool was established. The pool my daughter died in was built in 1979 and has not been inspected since. The law requires that if work is done electrically an inspection is  required. Unfortunately work was done on the pool numerous of times however the company that did the work never pulled a permit therefore the state was not aware of the changes and the work done. The pool was never inspected after the shabby work was completed.

It is necessary to make sure all pools have grounded wires and are required to be inspected yearly having the electrical system looked at each year to assure the safety of the pools. It has been stated by the DHHS and North Carolina that about 95% of the pools in this area are not up to code. Sadly what happened to my daughter can easily happen to somebody else if laws and regulations do not change. Her death was senseless and preventable.

Today: michelle is counting on you

michelle rosoff needs your help with “Please support HB 598. Inspections and revised regulations. regarding pools to avoid Electric Shock drownings”. Join michelle and 1,501 supporters today.