Petition Opposing Medical Marijuana Dispensary at Potomac Oak Shopping Center
This petition made change with 686 supporters!
We are homeowners who live near Glen Road in Potomac, Maryland, and we oppose the medical marijuana dispensary proposed for the Potomac Oak Shopping Center.
The shopping center, at the intersection of Glen and Travilah Roads, is in a solely residential area, and is surrounded by single-family homes on rustic and neighborhood roads. It is within mere steps of a children’s tutoring center and a planned daycare center, and is very close to a playground. Unlike other Maryland counties, Montgomery County has no zoning restrictions that would prevent the dispensary from being located here. We urge the County Council to amend the zoning code to block medical marijuana dispensaries from such inappropriate locations. Problems with this dispensary show why a zoning text amendment is urgently needed.
1. The dispensary would be in a small shopping center that also has a grade-school tutoring center and a former children’s karate school that is becoming a day care center. These are essentially schools, attended by young children.
2. The dispensary would also be roughly 1,000 feet from a playground and park on Glen Road – Greenbriar Park – that attracts young children and their families.
3. The dispensary would border and be in the middle of purely residential neighborhoods of single-family homes. These homes are just steps from the Potomac Oak Shopping Center; there are no other commercial storefronts within 5 miles. The local roads are all rustic roads and neighborhood streets. The other dispensaries approved in the County are in business districts.
4. Given its inappropriate location, we are concerned that the dispensary will have unintended consequences, including marijuana users driving unsafely on rustic and neighborhood roads, traffic congestion, criminal activity, and increasing exposure (or availability) of marijuana to minors.
5. We are also concerned that if recreational marijuana is legalized in Maryland, this dispensary will become a local neighborhood recreational marijuana store.
The solution to this problem – and others like it that may arise in the future – is a zoning text amendment to prevent medical marijuana dispensaries from operating in “neighborhood retail” zones that are surrounded by residential communities; are close to daycare and tutoring centers, playgrounds, and schools; and are accessed solely by rustic and neighborhood roads. We urge the County Council to promptly enact such a zoning text amendment.
OPPOSE THE POTOMAC OAK DISPENSARY!
Today: Jason is counting on you
Jason Levine needs your help with “Petition Opposing Medical Marijuana Dispensary at Potomac Oak Shopping Center”. Join Jason and 685 supporters today.