PETITION FOR NOT HONOURING THE GAMBIA GOVERNMENT’S REQUEST TO BE WITHDRAWN FROM THE COMMONWEALTH
This petition had 110 supporters
NOT IN OUR NAME, WE ARE STILL CITIZENS OF THE GAMBIA AND THE COMMONWEALTH!!
The International community and Gambians all over the world were shocked by the recent announcement made by the Gambia government to withdraw from the Commonwealth. This decision came on the heels of a massive demonstration organized by Gambian human rights campaigners that saw Yahya Jammeh, the president, barracked in an expensive hotel in New York during the recent U.N General Assembly meeting. He has since been accusing the West, including the Commonwealth members of all kinds of crimes. One would have thought that such a major decision will require not only due diligence and consultations with all stakeholders – the legislators, judiciary and the general population, but also due process. None of these took place in the led up to this announcement. However, this is the style of leadership that the Gambians are all too familiar with – Yahya Jammeh has treated Gambia as his personal fiefdom since he came to power in 1994 through a military coup.
It is therefore against this backdrop that we the Undersigned bona fide citizens of the The Gambia petition as follows:
- That the Commonwealth not withdraw the membership of bona fide citizens of the Gambia
- That the privileges and rights enjoyed by the citizens of the Gambia under the Commonwealth be kept intact
- That since this irresponsible decision was made based on the whims and caprices of Yahya Jammeh, any ramifications affect him alone and not the Gambia as a country
- That the Commonwealth finally take measures to penalize Yahya Jammeh for all the human rights violations that continue to this day – the illegal detention and torture of Amadou Sanneh and company (tortured and paraded on national tv) being the latest
- That the Commonwealth, to avoid another Rwanda, admonish the Gambia Government for fictitiously labeling Gambia’s largest opposition party, the UDP, of being a tribalist party thereby inciting tribal tension through another television speech by his Secretary General and Minister of Presidential Affairs Momodou Sabally
- That having determined that Yahya Jammeh is not fit to rule the Gambia anymore, all efforts be made in concert with Gambians to bring an end to his misrule
Today: Edrisa Ousman Jah is counting on you
Edrisa Ousman Jah needs your help with “PETITION FOR NOT HONOURING THE GAMBIA GOVERNMENT’S REQUEST TO BE WITHDRAWN FROM THE COMMONWEALTH”. Join Edrisa Ousman Jah and 109 supporters today.