Make the Steel from the Johnson St. Bridge available for Creative Re-Use!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
It's in PCL's contract to sell the steel from the Johnson St. Bridge for scrap, and it'll be shipped on a barge to Seattle/Tacoma if we don't take action today!
Although the "beauty" of this bridge is debatable, undoubtedly it has been an iconic structure in Victoria's landscape for over 90 years and it is a well-defined part of our cultural heritage. Almost everyone that lives in Greater Victoria has crossed that bridge, maybe even climbed up, or sat next to it...
We all have a blue bridge memory.
San Francisco/Oakland has led the way with their Bay Bridge Steel program, salvaging 600 tons of steel and through a selection process, awarding 15 artists and designers with projects ranging in scale from benches and lighting to sculptures or a single rivet.
Help us join the global conversation, putting CULTURE and PEOPLE at the heart of our development, imagining places that are playful, inclusive, and animated, that CONNECT us to the city and to each other.
Why does this matter?
- Repurpose infrastructure materials & reduce GHG emissions associated with transport
- Shift the conversation around the JSB & transform a perceived "failure" into a creative incubator for new ideas
- Create opportunities for public art & placemaking
- Engage communities of all ages & backgrounds to participate
- Connect Victoria’s history (past), community (present) & tech sector (future) through innovative projects
Re-Claim our History | Re-Imagine with Community | Re-Build through Technology
Please sign if you support re-claiming the Blue Bridge steel in Victoria!
Tag your photos #mybluebridge
Today: B.R.I.G.H.T. is counting on you
B.R.I.G.H.T. YYJ needs your help with “PCL : Make the Steel from the Johnson St. Bridge available for Creative Re-Use!”. Join B.R.I.G.H.T. and 708 supporters today.