Please screen "I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story" in Brisbane.
This petition made change with 99 supporters!
Sadly, Brisbane is missing out on a cinema release of the long awaited documentary on 82-year-old Muppet performer Caroll Spinney (Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch). "I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story" will only be screening at Cinema Nova in Melbourne, State Cinema in North Hobart, and Chauvel Cinema in Sydney. It also enjoyed a showing as part of the 2014 Melbourne International Film Festival - so Melbourne gets a re-release!
Q: Why should Brisbane be allowed to see this film on the big screen?
A: There's been a growing interest in puppets in recent years - particularly of the Muppet variety:
- Sesame Street parody videos are trending all over social media.
- Two new Muppets films have brought renewed interest in the franchise, and a whole new generation of fans. There's even a fair bit of buzz surrounding the new TV series set to air in the US this year. Not to mention the excitement of Joseph Gordon-Levitt's involvement in the new Fraggle Rock movie!
- Three entire seasons of stage show "Avenue Q" have sold out in Brisbane since 2010.
- Even the producers of a Sydney-based stage production of "Thank You For Being A Friend" (a Golden Girls puppet show) feel that a season in Brisbane's huge QPAC is warranted due to our apparent interest in puppets.
- Before the Brisbane International Film Festival was scrapped in favour of the Brisbane Asia Pacific Film Festival, the documentary film, "Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey" (about Kevin Clash) was a huge hit with audiences here.
Can you please screen this film in Brisbane? All of us (the undersigned) will attend. Thank you!
Today: Brett is counting on you
Brett Hansen needs your help with “Palace Centro, Palace Barracks, CINEPLEX, Dendy Portside, GOMA: Please screen "I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story" in Brisbane.”. Join Brett and 98 supporters today.