P.M. of Malaysia: Will PERHILITAN Ever Reveal The Truth On Taiping Zoo?
Taiping Zoo in Malaysia was found in possession of illegally traded and acquired orangutans. Ever since then, government officials have tried everything they can to drop the case. Under sustained pressure a fine was eventually levied, but a lot of details remain covered up by the government.
This same zoo has previously been caught in possession of illegally traded gorillas, for which it went unpunished.
Will you please help us obtain the truth?
It only takes a minute to sign and make a difference........"It's easy to do nothing, but your heart breaks a little more every time you do."- Mark Ruffalo
Yang Amat Berhormat Dato' Sri Mohd Najib Bin Tun Abdul Razak
Office of the Prime Minister
Blok Utama, Bangunan Perdana Putra
Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Persekutuan
Dear Prime Minister,
WILL PERHILIITAN EVER REVEAL THE TRUTH?
Your own NRE and PERHILITAN staff refuse to explain their actions concerning a case against the Taiping Zoo. This is disturbing, though nothing new.
Please will you order them to tell me:
1. What were the “other wildlife” the zoo was prosecuted for having in its possession?
2. Where did the “other wildlife” originate from and where are they now?
3. Who did the zoo acquire these animals from and was he/she pursued by Perhilitan?
4. How was the amount of the fine calculated?
5. Why no one else has ever been prosecuted in this case?
6. Given the high profile of the case against Taiping Zoo (it attracted a lot of media and NGO attention at the time it first came to light) have the NRE or Perhilitan released a Press Release or other details of its outcome to the media? The natural thought process being, the NRE and Perhilitan would want to show the media and NGO’s the legal action taken against the zoo. Much smaller cases have been well publicised.
If Malaysia is to begin to shake off its reputation as a hub for the illegal wildlife trade and a protector of those who profit from this trade, your eco-tourism industry will suffer.
I look forward to hearing from you.
A Concerned Conservationist.