Object to privatisation of Peckham Square and demolition of Peckham Arch
This petition had 922 supporters
In December 2014 Southwark council and Carl Turner architects began a series of ‘Co-design’ workshops to bring ‘communities together to shape the future of Peckham Square’. Three months later Southwark councillors undermined the public consultation, taking the decision to demolish Peckham Arch and develop the public space for the most part private housing.
The public square and the area beneath Peckham Arch is well-used and much loved.
We object to the disposal of public open space at Peckham Square and the demolition of Peckham Arch on the following grounds;
· The area accommodates a weekly farmers market and daily food and coffee vendors to whom the proximity to Rye Lane is vital for the viability of their trade.
· The Arch is a community asset and is a unique, rare covered public space which furthers community well-being.
· Alternative proposals to improve the square have not been given proper consideration.
· The proposal represents a net loss of urban green space including the removal of mature trees contrary to planning policy.
· The development did not feature in the Peckham and Nunhead Area Action plan adopted 2014 rather this calls for a further gateway at the south end of Rye Lane as a counterpart to Peckham Arch.
The Arch is a unique public structure and must not be removed because of an unwillingness of Southwark to manage public space for those it represents.
Today: SavePeckhamArch is counting on you
SavePeckhamArch - needs your help with “Object to privatisation of Peckham Square and demolition of Peckham Arch”. Join SavePeckhamArch and 921 supporters today.