- Anthony FoxxSecretary, Department of Transportation
Adopt a Vision Zero goal and sign an Executive Order to Save Lives Not Dollars
After losing 2 daughters in a preventable truck underride crash on May 4, 2013, our family made a positive impact 1 year later by taking over 11,000 signatures on our AnnaLeah & Mary Stand Up For Truck Safety Care2 Petition to DOT in Washington, DC. Now we are launching a Vision Zero Executive Order Petition.
Motor vehicle crashes are a leading cause of death for about 33,000 people each year. Yet decisions about traffic safety rules are based upon how much they would cost. Instead, we want the U.S. to move toward a Vision Zero safety strategy model based upon goals of Zero Deaths, Zero Serious Injuries, Zero Fear of Traffic.*
One of the biggest challenges to reducing motor vehicle deaths is the cost/benefit analysis in which human life and health get the short end of the stick. As a result, many safety measures are blocked because they would cost more to implement than the "worth" of the "small" number of lives which would be saved. That's just not right.
Sign & share our Vision Zero Petition to let President Obama know that we want him to:
- Adopt a National Vision Zero Goal for traffic safety; and
- Sign a Vision Zero Executive Order which will make saving lives a priority over saving dollars by empowering DOT to apply Vision Zero principles to rulemaking.
* "Vision Zero is a multi-national road traffic safety project that aims to achieve a highway system with no fatalities or serious injuries in road traffic. . . A core principle of the vision is that 'Life and health can never be exchanged for other benefits within the society' rather than the more conventional comparison between costs and benefits, where a monetary value is placed on life and health, and then that value is used to decide how much money to spend on a road network towards the benefit of decreasing how much risk." http://tinyurl.com/z8gxou5
Towards Zero: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RkfbZgm3Ek
See more of our story at: http://annaleahmary.com/
Jerry & Marianne tell their story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LGcWc4m9VA
Our grandma wants to make the roads safer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBbLCubz7xU
- Secretary, Department of Transportation
Tell Obama: Adopt a Vision Zero goal & sign an Executive Order to Save Lives Not Dollars!
Jerry and Marianne Karth started this petition with a single signature, and now has 50 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Jerry and Marianne is counting on you
Jerry and Marianne Karth needs your help with “Obama: Adopt a Vision Zero goal and sign an Executive Order to Save Lives Not Dollars”. Join Jerry and Marianne and 49 supporters today.